Keep my Early 2011 MBP or Upgrade to Late 2013 rMBP?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
As the subject line states, I'm having a hard time making up my mind on whether to keep my Early 2011 MBP or upgrade to Late 2013 MBP.

I recently changed out the internal HD to the Samsung 840 EVO 1TB and which is lightning fast and did the dual drive conversion with the Seagate 1TB hybrid drive. I have 16GB of memory now also. The processor is the 2.2 i7.

I'm looking at the 2.6GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.8GHz with the 1TB PCIe-based Flash Storage.

The Retina display is not that big of a deal as I dock my MBP 95% of the time to (2) Thunderbolt displays at my office.

I'm hoping to get $1,200 - $1,500 for my current MBP as it sits, which would allow me to upgrade for $1,500 or so.

What are your thoughts? Does it make any sense? Am I going to see a noticeable difference in speed between the two setups?

Happy Holidays!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Think for a moment about the upgrades you did on your 2011 MacBook Pro.... If you get a retina machine, forget about doing any upgrades, and since you dock your MBP to a Thunderbolt display anyway..... Food for thought.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
Think for a moment about the upgrades you did on your 2011 MacBook Pro.... If you get a retina machine, forget about doing any upgrades, and since you dock your MBP to a Thunderbolt display anyway..... Food for thought.
Thanks for the reply. The more I think about it it just doesn't make any sense. I guess I'm use to purchasing a new PC Laptop about every year as something has always went bad in them and having my current MBP for going on 3 years is driving me crazy.

I have a co-worker that is seriously considering my current setup for $1,500.00 and with my discount with Apple I'd be looking at about $1,500 out of pocket with Apple Care. So, I guess it comes down to whether or not it's worth $1,500 to get the latest and greatest......

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have a co-worker that is seriously considering my current setup for $1,500.00 and with my discount with Apple I'd be looking at about $1,500 out of pocket with Apple Care. So, I guess it comes down to whether or not it's worth $1,500 to get the latest and greatest......

It's tempting isn't it? Of course the decision is yours to make, but if you do decide to go ahead and get the new retina machine, order it with as much memory and as large a SSD as you can afford. And by all means purchase Apple Care.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
It's tempting isn't it? Of course the decision is yours to make, but if you do decide to go ahead and get the new retina machine, order it with as much memory and as large a SSD as you can afford. And by all means purchase Apple Care.
Very tempting indeed. As stated above, the one I would get would be the maxed out one, which is the 2.6GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.8GHz with the 1TB PCIe-based Flash Storage and I believe it comes with the 16GB Memory already with this configuration.

How would the 1TB PCIe-based Flash Storage compare to the 1TB Samsung 740EVO?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How would the 1TB PCIe-based Flash Storage compare to the 1TB Samsung 740EVO?

Probably a bit faster or about the same. MacWorld Magazine published some bench marks in their last issue but I'm not certain of the configuration they used. But my understanding of PCIe-based Flash Storage is that it's fast, very fast. Sounds like a killer system that you're pining for. Nice Xmas present for yourself. ;)

Meant to mention in my last reply that you can purchase Apple Care discounted from B&H Photo in New York City. They're an authorized Apple reseller and have some very good deals on Apple Care. That's where I purchased mine from.

Here's the LINK if you would like to look them up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.