keychains, disc utility and hardware test

Reaction score
(this might well be moved to a new topic)

I had three certificates in an old keychain on my 11inch mid 2011 MBA, no idea what they were or what they were for but one had expired (it was dated 20 June 2012 - when I bought my machine - so had probably expired in a year), one was valid and one was not trusted. Maybe a bit of a silly question to ask given I don't know what they were for but would they have been critical to running my machine? (it's working fine right now so probably not)

What is the meaning of the following keychain items/what do they do:

accounts.google.com
Apple Persistent State Encryption
Chrome Safe Storage
com.apple.ubiquity.peer-uuid.0A060ABD-5720-4425-A778-32F5C693DE8B
daw.apple.com
id.apple.com
Apple Code Signing Certification Authority
com.apple.kerberos.kdc
com.apple.systemdefault
Software Signing

Do Disc Utility and/or Hardware Test ALWAYS show up anomalies in hardware/software, or is there more than meets the eye in some cases?

Any help and advice appreciated - thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
com.apple.kerberos.kdc

These certs are computer specific and are related to an authentication protocol called Kerberos which is used by the OS to share services with other Macs.If you've got two or more Macs at home with screen sharing and file sharing turned on then the cert gives permission for this to happen without you having to keep putting in login info all the time. Best not to delete or modify it because it's only for local use and apparently the 'not to be trusted' bit is by design.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 13" 2012, 1.8GHz Core i5, 8GB RAM, OSX 10.10.5
Since a recovery from Time Machine external SSD these 'Apple Persistent State Encryption' passwords have appeared; previously my MBA worked just fine, now I have this unwelcome development.
HOW can I prevent this annoyance, please. I have tried 'Applications/Utlities/Keychain Password';
then select all and delete but it does nothing....

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 13" 2012, 1.8GHz Core i5, 8GB RAM, OSX 10.10.5
Since a recovery from Time Machine external SSD these 'Apple Persistent State Encryption' passwords have appeared; previously my MBA worked just fine, now I have this unwelcome development.
HOW can I prevent this annoyance, please. I have tried 'Applications/Utlities/Keychain Password';
then select all and delete but it does nothing....

Screenshots of the password demands on startup---

Screen Shot 2014-09-12 at 19.25.48.jpg

Screen Shot 2014-09-12 at 19.25.29.jpg

Screen Shot 2014-09-12 at 19.25.59.jpg

Screen Shot 2014-09-12 at 19.26.07.jpg

Screen Shot 2014-09-12 at 19.26.18.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.