Problem with moving / copying files

Reaction score
This will take some explaining. I have a WD EX4 and a 4TB external drive plugged into it via USB 3.0. From my mac I selected all files (about 4TB) and used the cmd move function to move all files from the external drive to the EX4. After about 5 seconds my mac crashed. After reboot it isn't moving the files and yet I can see them all on the EX4, however they're all grayed out as they typically are during the move/copy function. Now I can't delete these grayed out files to begin again because I get "file in use" message. I've rebooted 3-4 times and am having the same trouble.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
One quick question, are the files still on the 4TB drive?

OP
P
Reaction score
One quick question, are the files still on the 4TB drive?

They are, I was able to copy one over via my Mac air, when it was finished it was renamed with a 2 at the end of the file. It was only a 1.5mb file, and took about 20-30 minutes to copy over via USB 3.0. Seems a bit long. I think it's confused with all the other files in flux.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
My suggestion is to use cloning / copying software like SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner.
Or select smaller batches to copy.

Cheers ... McBie

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
^^^ you then have some verification of the file copy process also.

At the point you are at, rather than spend a bunch more time trying to figure out what to do to fix it - think I'd just reformat the drives in the EX4 and get one of those cloning apps to make the copy.

OP
P
Reaction score
^^^ you then have some verification of the file copy process also.

At the point you are at, rather than spend a bunch more time trying to figure out what to do to fix it - think I'd just reformat the drives in the EX4 and get one of those cloning apps to make the copy.

I went with your idea of formatting the EX4. I first plugged the external 4TB drive into my MacAir to make sure all the files are still there and formatting the EX4 wouldn't some how effect the external. I started on Wed at 3:30PST, it's at 93% now. I guess it takes a while with 16TB :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.