Using Canon Scanner under Mavericks

Reaction score
I upgraded to Mavericks and lost the scanning function on my Canon Pixma MP800 printer/scanner. The printer still works but the trying to open the scanner returns the message [You can't open the application "MP Navigator 2.0.app" because PowerPC applications are no longer supported]. Sounds like something was deleted from Mavericks. Does anyone have any information, or am I off to buy a new scanner which Mavericks supports.

M

MacInWin

Rosetta, the part required to support Power PC applications, was removed several versions ago...Lion, I think. I'd check with Canon to see if there is an updated driver, or just let Mavericks install the printer/scanner and see if scanning is restored.

If you want to try that latter approach, remove the printer/scanner from the Printers & Scanners list with the "-" below the window there, then reboot and reinstall the printer. Mavericks should detect the printer and install the latest drivers it can find.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I think scanning works with Mavericks and my MP 990. Try the following:

1.With the printer connected enter the Print and Scan preference pane and install the drivers. Try using Image Capture (included with OS X0 as the scanning application.
2. If the drivers included with OS X don't work check the Canon site.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.