Max HDD size for Mac Mini L2012

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
I been looking online without any luck. But does anyone know for sure what the largest HDD a Mac Mini will support? Not the 1TB it came with, but whats the largest I can put in my Late 2012 Mac Mini.

I got the kit coming from the states from OWC for the 2nd drive, all I really needed was the small ribbon cable. But before I pull it apart again, I was thinking about a larger drive other then the original 1TB that came with it. Photography RAW files eat up space pretty bad.

Thanks,
Joe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
THere is no limit, as long as you can find a Sata drive of the right size then it will work. 2 TB is the max size 2.5 inch drive currently made.

For RAW files, it would be better to archive them off to an external 4 TB unit, rather than spend a lot more on an internal 2 TB drive

OP
Exodist
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
THere is no limit, as long as you can find a Sata drive of the right size then it will work. 2 TB is the max size 2.5 inch drive currently made.

For RAW files, it would be better to archive them off to an external 4 TB unit, rather than spend a lot more on an internal 2 TB drive

I have a 2TB NAS I was going to convert to my main TC backup. But yea, looks like 2TB is the limit at the moment on 2.5's. I do however have a WD My Book Studio 2TB on my want list, but I am curious what "real" speeds will I get from a USB 3.0 on a single external drive. I am hoping for comparable internal HDD speeds (~90MB/s R/W). My NAS is SLOW.. It only gets 30MB/s on a good day, plus access is very slow on start up. It would make a better Time Capsule backup..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.