Help! 0 of 2 USB port hubs are working

Reaction score
The USBs on my Mac Lion 10.7 are not working. I tried three different printers and nothing is recognized. I tried my mobile that powers up from the USB hub yet no software is recognized. I have re loaded Lion in the computer. Is it possible the function has been 'turned off' in a sense or the driver needs to be re installed? I keep trying to find info on re installing the driver with nothing. Thanks! I require it right away, I have a ton to print!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
OP
W
Reaction score
Updates and Reset

Yes, the updates are correct. I read your information on these resets and neither seems to affect the USB hubs. It would be excellent to gain some other suggestions before I head in that direction.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, the updates are correct. I read your information on these resets and neither seems to affect the USB hubs. It would be excellent to gain some other suggestions before I head in that direction.

Ok. It's unlikely that the USB's are broken. The suggested fixes are not severe with respect to consequential disaster. This is common advice but it's your call. This is a sticky from the forum http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/93819-basic-os-x-mac-troubleshooting.html

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Do you mean external hubs or the built in USB ports?

If actual hubs try mains powered units.

OP
W
Reaction score
The built in USBs. Is there a means to test the USBs? I have a stalker online, so perhaps they messed with something as I am a writer. Everything else functions. I will hang out here until I hear from someone. I completed both of the 'reset' ideas yet it did not work...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Ok. It's unlikely that the USB's are broken. The suggested fixes are not severe with respect to consequential disaster. This is common advice but it's your call. This is a sticky from the forum http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/93819-basic-os-x-mac-troubleshooting.html

I was reading the TS steps in the link above - now the post is about 6 yrs old - nearly all of the items still seem valid, but I was wondering about #8 & #9 (quoted below) - do these still apply to the newer Apple computers and OS X, such as Mavericks? Thanks for comments from all 'in the know' - Dave :)

8) Resetting the PRAM: When booting, hold down Command-Option-P-R and wait for the triple startup chimes.

9) File System Check - When booting up your computer hold down the Apple Key & the S key and it will boot into single user mode. When the text is done loading on the screen type in /sbin/fsck -f and hit enter.
When that is done if it fixed things then do the check again to make sure it is cleared
When finished with that type in exit and it will start the computer in normal mode

OP
W
Reaction score
This post does not seem relevant to anything on this thread, yet to not step in it, here is what I saw. There is no triple chime, it merely re boots with the grey screen. The file system check does not relate.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I was reading the TS steps in the link above - now the post is about 6 yrs old - nearly all of the items still seem valid, but I was wondering about #8 & #9 (quoted below) - do these still apply to the newer Apple computers and OS X, such as Mavericks? Thanks for comments from all 'in the know' - Dave :)

Yes, step 8 and 9 are still valid and can be used to trouble shoot the latest Macs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Its allowed. I am requiring a proper solution beside these linked steps.

It's not that easy Dundela ;P We are trying to use known fixes. You could have had an over-current issue or maybe have got some sort of device conflict.

You can check to see your USB connections in About this Mac on the menu bar and choose System Report. Click on USB and you will see the listings.

What you can also try is a full power down but disconnect everything from the the USB ports and mains outlets. Leave everything alone for a good half-day or so to let all devices settle down and their capacitors self-discharge. Your USB ports will also hopefully reset.

Re-boot the machine without any devices plugged in and then try connecting your USB devices.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
There are too many unanswered questions here.
At this point, I remain unconvinced the USB ports are not working.
For all we know, we may only need to show you how to add a printer.

The only thing in the op is that 3 printers were connected.
After any of these were connected, did you go into System Preferences and attempt to "add" the printer and/or go online to download the latest drivers for any of them or did you just try to print?

And a "mobile" was connected - no software is recognized - I'm not even sure what that means.
We don't even know whether you have the Finder preferences set up properly that would display any external piece of hardware either on the desktop or in the Finder sidebar. And if not, then no, no "software" would be seen.

Sorry, but you want a "proper solution" without doing any sort of troubleshooting steps to determine the problem? That's not gonna happen...

Pendlewitch has it right in the very first response as to any steps to take that may cure this particular problem without doing any further troubleshooting - that would be a SMC and PRAM reset.

If you did not boot the computer while pressing "and holding" the command-option-p-r keys down until you heard the startup chime for the 2nd time - you did not do it correctly.

What Mac do you have?
Has it ever had any liquid damage?

Post a screenshot like the following.
Click on the Apple - About this Mac - More Info - highlight USB on the left.

Screen Shot 2013-12-23 at 5.56.50 AM.png

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Also besides Bobtomay's excellent advice, do you own a USB mouse or Keyboard? Do they work?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" I7 first one and loving it.

In keeping with community rules. Never mind my comment.

OP
W
Reaction score
MAC EFI Firmware Update NOT WORKING

I have had a USB issue that seems to likely be due to the OS X Lion 10.7.5 upgrade. Here is the fix, yet when I try to install it , the system says this software is not supported by my system. It seems like a hacker virus. What are your recommendations? I have a Macbook Pro Early 2011.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm assuming you're referring to an EFI update you downloaded? Can you identify for us which one you downloaded and attempted to install? Also, earlier you started a thread regarding your USB ports and stated they were not working. It's best to keep all this together as one thread if it's the same problem.

C

chas_m

Those updates may not be for your model MacBook Pro. Also, there's no such thing as a "hacker virus" for Macs.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here's what Apple states regarding that firmware update:

This update fixes several issues to improve the stability of MacBook Pro (Early 2011) and MacBook Pro (Late 2011) computers and is recommended for all users.

This update improves the reliability of booting from the network, addresses an issue that can prevent HDCP authentication after a reboot, and resolves an issue with boot device selection when a USB storage device is hot-plugged.

As member chas_m indicated the firmware update is for another model MacBook Pro and in any event, may have nothing to do with your problem. I'm still at a loss as to exactly what your problem is with the USB ports?

OP
W
Reaction score
When I first bought the Mac in 2011, one of the USBs started to work only once in a while, mostly not at all. The other worked pretty consistently until last week (when I had to print a ton of essential work!)

I have tested both USBs. Using a USB memory stick that I know works. Then my mobile… it will power the mobile yet not try to sync with it at all. Then two printers that I used previously and the drivers are loaded with. The USBs are not functioning.

I have a Brother 2040 printer and I HAVE to print a ton of paper. I am a writer and have a book proposal to get out!

My priority is printing and getting this USB to work.

I re loaded Mac Lion 10.7.5
I did your recommend with the resets PRAM and SMC.
I have tried to find a firewire to USB converter (seems to not exist)
There MUST BE A WAY to get info to my printer and get this USB working.

I just took a screen pic of the 'About this Mac' USB info for you as requested, yet is there an ideal place to upload it to?

Thanks in advance!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.