How to Jailbreak iOS 7 - All iPhones, iPads and iPod touches

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 13'' (3 GHZ i7, 8GB)
Today Evad3rs Team released the public version of their popular jailbreak software Evasi0n7 to jailbreak iOS 7, yes Untethered. it means it works on 7-7.0.4 at the moment as well as 7.1 Beta 1 and 2. evasion is really easy to use but there are some important things you should know in advance before processing jailbreak:

Back up your device.

1- remove passcode on your device.
2-if you updated your device through OTA (from your device in settings), you should do a full restore via iTunes on your OS X or Windows.

I provided a tutorial video that I quickly demonstrated the process. have a look and let me know whether you are going to jailbreak your device or not?!

How to Jailbreak iOS 7 - iPhone 5S, 5C, 5, 4S & iPad & iPod touch [Untethered] - YouTube

evasi0n iOS 7.x Jailbreak - official website of the evad3rs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I caught this announcement this morning. It couldn't have come at a more opportune time. My wife just upgraded from the 4S to a 5S, and I just happen to have the SHSH blobs from 6.1.1 when I jailbroke it back then. I do believe the value of her phone just shot up! *woot*

C

chas_m

aaaaand THIS is exactly why I gave up jailbreaking. No longer worth it, too big a security risk thanks to some bad actors in the community.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
According to that 9to5 link, the TaiG software was remotely disabled but that's not the disconcerting part (why was it included in the first place?). Here's hoping that the situation gets cleared up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
aaaaand THIS is exactly why I gave up jailbreaking. No longer worth it, too big a security risk thanks to some bad actors in the community.

Yes... and see how quickly those bad actors got busted? It's not quite the scary thing people think, though I do think it's worth waiting a couple weeks after a jailbreak gets released to make sure there aren't any early bugs not caught on release. There are a LOT of eyes on stuff like this, so it's hard to slip anything malicious in. The guys running this have their personal reputations at stake here.

According to the update, they "simply" got conned into including an alternative to Cydia app store from China that sells pirated apps off Apple's App Store. Well not conned... they had an agreement with that store that they would not distribute pirated apps, and they reneged on it. Nothing more, nothing less. The jailbreak exploit itself is not compromised. Not going to infest your iOS device with malware. If you stick to using repositories like Big Boss that require code signing, then you have a lot of assurances that it's a safe thing to do.

C

chas_m

Yes, I saw that. But VanSmith has a point: if I have enough money, I can simply bribe someone (or someone looks the other way) somewhere in the chain to put my own code in a store or an installer. I'm not worried so much about "malware" (though that's a strong possibility) as much as I am privacy-compromising stuff.

I don't think Big Boss or other well-known repositories would have this issue, but OTOH ... they probably DON'T hand-inspect every app or bit of code to make sure they aren't getting fooled. Apple may not be perfect, but it's ONE repository that I don't have to worry about trusting, and one with the resources to find flaws (and stop things they didn't find).

This, coupled with a dwindling number of unofficial apps I care about, things like this make me aware that I just *can't rely* on the security of unofficial stores/repositories/installers to the extent I can with just the Apple store.

In days past, I mainly jailbroke older iPhones because I needed to unlock them, and that was how you did that back then. I don't have to do that anymore, and so for the reasons mentioned above, the days where I could trust the jailbroken world are gone. Just my opinion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If your desire to have ZERO risk is a high priority, then of course you shouldn't jailbreak. In fact, you shouldn't even have an iPhone since there have been a number of privacy violations in the past that Apple didn't catch on their own App Store.

It's perfectly possible to jailbreak your iPhone and manage your "risks" in a reasonable manner. Stick to the apps that have a long history, are on a reputable repository, are popular, and add real utility to your usage. These will have a lot of eyes on them and the likelihood that they are compromised is probably about as near-zero as anything off Apple's store.

C

chas_m

Well now that you've narrowed the list of potentially-useful jailbreak apps to about 10 options ... :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I want to know, with the iPhone4s/5/5c/5s what is there that people STILL want to JB for ?? Its getting closer and closer to the time where there will be no need for the JB community as there will be the legit Apps that do what you want, and Apple is in a way loosening the horns on what is/isnt allowed.

I can't see the need for a JB anymore . . . And seeing this crap with the Chinese, look where things are heading !!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I want to know, with the iPhone4s/5/5c/5s what is there that people STILL want to JB for ?? Its getting closer and closer to the time where there will be no need for the JB community as there will be the legit Apps that do what you want, and Apple is in a way loosening the horns on what is/isnt allowed.

I can't see the need for a JB anymore . . . And seeing this crap with the Chinese, look where things are heading !!!!

Set a different browser as the default. Set a different maps app as the default. Additional toggles beyond what Control Center offers. Greatly enhanced gestures. Truly hide apps that you really don't want (Stocks, Newsstand, etc). Completely wirelessly manage your files using SSH (I sometimes have to dig into the documents for an app to manually backup or restore saved data... highly useful if you have to delete and reinstall an app that's acting up. Without a jailbreak, I have to connect to my desktop by wire and use a dedicated desktop app. With a jailbreak, I can wirelessly do it via SSH and use anything that supports SSH).

There are a LOT more things you can do that are useful. The whole Chinese thing is being completely overblown. It's a store optional to Cydia that is distributing pirated apps. Nothing more, nothing less. You can add repositories to Cydia that distribute them also. I don't understand why anyone is in a tizzy over this. Yes, it's "possible" some of those apps are compromised, but if you are pirating apps, then you deserve what you get.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I want to know, with the iPhone4s/5/5c/5s what is there that people STILL want to JB for ??
The addition of features by Apple doesn't mean that they include everything that any user wants. At the end of the day, any developer/company only includes so much and it's never enough for the community of users.

Its getting closer and closer to the time where there will be no need for the JB community as there will be the legit Apps that do what you want, and Apple is in a way loosening the horns on what is/isnt allowed.
I doubt that. As long as Apple controls the platform and consequently restricts things, you'll see people who have a need for that which is prohibited. Think of apps that are rejected from the App Store - having a market through which approval isn't as much of a concern will always be needed.

C

chas_m

I agree with Van. For the VAST majority of users (99 percent I'd say), the "restrictions" Apple imposes are unseen and unfelt and consequently users are already overwhelmed with choice and options. There will always be the one percent who want to do something Apple's eco-system doesn't allow, like (just an example) run a Linux install on their smartphone (on the side, for whatever purpose). For those people, jailbreaking may offer them the ability to do what they want.

There's nothing INHERENTLY wrong with jailbreaking other than the fact that it opens up a further *possibility* of security compromises or diminished performance (back when I was jb'ing my iPhone, this was a *frequent* issue). Jailbreaking isn't illegal, it's just not a great idea for most users.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.