Streaming movie from iTunes to Apple TV issue

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a 2013 Mac Mini running Mavericks 10.9.1. All software up to date.
I often rent movies from iTunes, Recently, these movies have stopped playing while we are watching them. The Apple TV takes me back to it's default screen. The screen which enables you to select which computer to stream from. I select that computer again, it shows it is loading my library. I select the movie which stopped, and resume playing from the stopped point.
Why would it be acting like this?
Using the same library, I can stream music without too many problems. (as of late, no problems at all).
I do have my energy saving settings on the Mac Mini set to sleep the computer after an hour, which might be about how long it takes till the movie stops.
Any pointers as to what might be causing this?

C

chas_m

Make sure the "put hard drive to sleep when possible' option is UNchecked. Try changing the energy saver setting just to experiment with how that helps or hurts the situation.

If you haven't already, consider upgrading the router to an "N" standard (you may well have already done this -- if you haven't, you definitely should!).

OP
N
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Chas_m.
I will try altering the settings. I already have a N standard router. (Extreme).
What I don't understand, is why it should start acting like this. I have rented movies this way for some years now, without issues.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Is there any other traffic going over the network when the problem occurs. It almost sounds like their are multiple things competing for bandwidth.

OP
N
Reaction score
Is there any other traffic going over the network when the problem occurs. It almost sounds like their are multiple things competing for bandwidth.

Not that I am aware of Slydude.
2 people in the house, both watching the same movie.
I hate to say it, but maybe it is a consequence of Apple updating the operating system? Sometimes I find that to improve some aspects of the operating system, they inadvertently 'break' something else.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Does this problem affect streaming of other video files (something not rented through iTunes)? I've noticed iTunes having some network issues lately as I try to re-download some purchases.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.