My Mac OS X 10.6.8 running slow

Reaction score
New to the Mac world. My Mac OS X 10.6.8 is running slow. It's has 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM. Is there anyway to clean up, speed up or maintenance I can do? Slow on internet, running programs and just in general. Could really us some helpful advice. Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can try running a maintenance and clean up utility to see if it speeds things up somewhat for you. The only one we recommend is OnyX. It's free and can be downloaded from here. Make sure you download the version for Snow Leopard 10.6.8.

Also, your machine can use an increase in memory. I believe you can go up to 6 GB in that machine but 4 GB should be plenty for Snow Leopard. We recommend buying memory from either Other World Computing or Crucial. You will have to remove the 2 x 512 MB modules and replace them with 2 x 2 GB modules.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Also, you might check to see how much storage space there is on your hard drive. That is, compare the size of the hard drive to the available space. If you're running out of room on the disk, then you need an external drive or to just delete unused stuff. But don't delete anything if you aren't 110% sure of what it is.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.