newest imac

Reaction score
Are the imac' known for more issues? I have read quite a few less than stellar reviews. Mostly with the HD's. I checked one out for a day, and it took almost a full minute to boot up and took awhile to wake up when sleeping. It was the base model that sells for $1299. Is that normal?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I own two iMacs; a 2011 21.5" iMac and a newer 2013 27" iMac. They both boot up fast and wake up immediately from sleep. The 2011 model had its hard drive replaced by Apple under the Apple Care warranty (it was 2.5 years old when the drive failed) but otherwise has been trouble free.

Like any other computer whether it be an Apple iMac, Dell, HP, Sony, etc, it's subject to failure because of internal parts. Apple uses the same hard drives that Dell and other PC manufacturers use. Of course you can always opt for a SSD instead of a spinning hard drive but that will cost more when purchasing.

C

chas_m

There are too many factors with the "one you checked out" to comment: bunch of programs loading on startup maybe, or possible failing HD (sounds like the latter). Was this in an Apple retail store? If not, go visit an Apple retail store and see if you still think that. Those machines are used all day, every day, and should give you a very good "real world" view of how the new machines perform. Ask an associate to show you a restart or cold start, don't just do it yourself.

OP
J
Reaction score
There are too many factors with the "one you checked out" to comment: bunch of programs loading on startup maybe, or possible failing HD (sounds like the latter). Was this in an Apple retail store? If not, go visit an Apple retail store and see if you still think that. Those machines are used all day, every day, and should give you a very good "real world" view of how the new machines perform. Ask an associate to show you a restart or cold start, don't just do it yourself.

I also bought one and brought it home. Nothing was on it, other than factory stuff. Boot time was about 55 seconds. Waking from sleep was really slow, like ten seconds a few times. I did learn it takes two consecutive strikes on the keyboard to wake it. I think some of the times I was only doing one. I read some others having issues like this.

I'm wondering if more is compromised in this type of machine and the reason they start off with more RAM than other machines. In the past anyhow. I'm just torn between a new imac and last years MBP w/ cd drive.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You didn't mention which iMac you purchased but the 55 seconds to boot it is not normal unless you mean 55 seconds until the desktop appeared? Also, no Mac, iMac or MacBook Pro requires 2 taps on the keyboard to wake it from sleep. One tap on the keyboard or a mouse click is all that should be required.

OP
J
Reaction score
You didn't mention which iMac you purchased but the 55 seconds to boot it is not normal unless you mean 55 seconds until the desktop appeared? Also, no Mac, iMac or MacBook Pro requires 2 taps on the keyboard to wake it from sleep. One tap on the keyboard or a mouse click is all that should be required.

It was the base model 21". Yes it took 55 sec until desktop was up. That seemed quite long for a brand new machine. My 2006 macbook is much quicker.

The applecare guy told me it takes two hits on a button to wake up the imac with the wireless keyboard, so I figured that's what I was screwing up. I don't have the imac now. I returned it as I can't decide and thought something might've been wrong with that one. Plus at the Best Buy they wouldn't allow me to get trackpad in place of mouse, so I need to order thru Apple if I still want the imac.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Even with a wireless keyboard, it should have only required one tap. I have both a wireless and wired keyboard and they both work the same way. Actually, I have a hard time recommending any 21.5" iMac 2012 or 2013 model because they're a closed system. In other words, can not be user upgraded. But it seems that's the way Apple is designing their hardware as of late. The basic 27" iMac 2013 model is a much better choice in my opinion but does cost more.

OP
J
Reaction score
I'm just torn between this base imac or a macbook pro 15". I want to go with non retina because I'd rather the disc drive and have it all in one. I briefly checked one out and it seemed fast. Boot/wake and just general use was great. The imac lure is of course the big beautiful screen, but then I have a bunch of extra stuff like keyboard, mouse, trackpad, and a disc drive. A lot more clutter. I just have been agonizing over this choice. Can't make mind up! Anything's going to be a major improvement of my '06 Macbook which is still running strong! I just want to make the right choice.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm just torn between this base imac or a macbook pro 15".

You either need portability or you don't. Decide on that...and your decison is made.:)

I want to go with non retina because I'd rather the disc drive and have it all in one.

If by "disk drive" you mean the optical drive...the "Late 2013" 15" MacBook Pros no longer have an optical drive. If you want a 15" MBP with an optical drive...you will have to purchase an older model.

- Nick

C

chas_m

NEVER buy a Mac from Best Buy unless you are dead certain it has never been opened before! I wish you'd mentioned that in the first post, could have saved you a lot of time!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have an 07 Macbook with an even faster hard drive than what shipped with it. I have 2 iMacs, a Late 2006 and early 2008 model. Both of them boot faster than the Macbook and the desktop appears in 30 seconds or so on the 2008 with Mavericks installed and under 25 seconds on the late 2006 with Snow Leopard installed.

Never had one issue with either of them. Only upgrades are larger hard drives and more RAM.

The iMacs are fine machines.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Boot times and sleep/wake speeds are all limited by the HD. If you want it to be blazing fast, get a SSD (best decision I've ever made). You'll boot from dead cold to login screen in 10 seconds or so (I have a mid-2012 with a 2.5 i5) and the desktop will load fully in no time.

As for your choice, pigoo3 is right - if you need portability, get the MBP. Otherwise, get the iMac. Honestly, despite sounding very simplistic, it really does come down to that.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thank you guys. If it was that simple. it's more about SPACE. My work studio desk is not that big, and an imac would be real nice at first, but then I got all the other stuff, including a wired mouse when track pad runs out of batteries..It's too much clutter.

I do like the option of having portability when I want, but 90% of the time it'll sit at my desk. I think I'm going with the macbook classic for this reason. And can upgrade RAM if needed as well. I like that as well as being able to change my battery. The only thing I'm gonna mis is the big screen. Either machine is more than enough for me in it's stock/base form. It'll last me several years.

I read a review on the newest imac compared to 2012 imac and even with all the updates, the old imac had a faster boot/wake/shutdown speed. They had similar HD's. I think it was one of Iris' weak spots. Of course Iris boosted speeds in other areas, but that's what I must've been noticing. It was very slow.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Best way to solve your problem is this: Purchase the MacBook Pro of your choice and a nice external monitor to go along with it. When at home, hook it up to the external monitor and then you'll have the best of both worlds. More $$ of course, but nowadays you can buy a nice external monitor for less than $250. You'll also need an adapter and cable which are not expensive.

smb

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 3.5 i7, 24GB. Drobo5D EHD. Mac Book Air. 2010 15" Mac Book Pro. Retired 2008 (3.1) Mac Pro
I have had my new 27" iMac for a week now. (3.5 IC i7) From the tone to the log in screen 30 sec. (45 sec or less is what should be expected.)
Coming from an old Mac Pro, when I could get a cup of coffee waiting for the start up, the iMac seems great to me.
It also flies through Aperture, back and forth to plug-ins and changing Libraries from a Drobo 5D.

The Book plus display, as above, sounds like a good way to solve your problem.

C

chas_m

Who starts up or turns off Macs anymore?? :)

(but seriously, this MacBook is powered down MAYBE once every other month ... if that ...)

OP
J
Reaction score
Really? I turn mine off every night. Both home and at work. Had a magplug for my macbook catch fire a few years back. It was singed and smoke coming from it. I unplugged it and it was super hot. I caught it just in time. Ain't no way I'm leaving that plugged in all the time. It was 4 years old. Applecare was expired but Apple still sent me a new magplug.

I always turn my mac mini off at night. Not good? Figure why pay the extra electricity? I know it's not much but thought it was better.

Maybe the 27" is faster, but the 21" I had and the one in the review was sluggish. The older 2012 macbook pro classic was so much faster and more responsive. The wireless board and mouse could've had something to do with it. I didn't care for that. I wish they'd offer a wired trackpad as well.

Thanks guys, the macbook pro classic is my choice and the screen, while not as nice as imac will be an upgrade for me. Thanks for helping me sort it out! Good suggestions all around.

smb

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 3.5 i7, 24GB. Drobo5D EHD. Mac Book Air. 2010 15" Mac Book Pro. Retired 2008 (3.1) Mac Pro
Who starts up or turns off Macs anymore??

That's funny you should write that. I see it all the time but can't fully break the turn off habit.

When I bought my first Mac Pro, I was living in the Caribbean. The current surges were incredible. Output would go from 90v to 150v or just off for no reason. Despite surge protectors and voltage regulators, I still went through two Logic Boards. If I wasn't on the computer I would always turn it off. Now it is almost a reflex.
I will try and do better!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Who starts up or turns off Macs anymore?? :)

(but seriously, this MacBook is powered down MAYBE once every other month ... if that ...)

Ditto. MBP and iMac at home. I never turn them off. Occasionally a software update will require a restart. But that's it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
When I bought my first Mac Pro, I was living in the Caribbean. The current surges were incredible. Output would go from 90v to 150v or just off for no reason. Despite surge protectors and voltage regulators, I still went through two Logic Boards. If I wasn't on the computer I would always turn it off. Now it is almost a reflex.
I will try and do better!

If I had power consistency issues like this...then I would probably turn off AND unplug the computer if I wasn't using it as well. Replacing logic boards is not fun ($$$$).

Many folks in many countries have much more consistent "power quality"...and so sleeping the computer makes lots of sense.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.