S.M.A.R.T Tool For O SX10.9.1

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2008 Unibody, 8GB Ram, 10.6.8.
Hi;

I am trying to find out how to view the SMART data from the HDD used in my late 2008 MBP. Disc utility 'Verify Disc' says that the HDD is OK but I want to view the SMART data, how can I do this?

I have searched and found a free tool smartmontools however I could not work out how to compile it, I then searched for a pre compiled version and recieved a warning that it was not compatible with my system?

Can someone help?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
If its in a usb enclosure then USB does not support SMART status reporting

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
There is a maintenance tool called ONYX that many on this forum are using.
Titanium's Software • Index page

This tool includes a SMART status check of your internal disk.
Make sure you download the correct version for your OS.
Also, if you like the tool and find it helpful, consider donating something to TiTanium.
( No , I have no relationship with them, I just believe that if people do good to others, they are entitled to a reward. )

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I am trying to find out how to view the SMART data from the HDD used in my late 2008 MBP. Disc utility 'Verify Disc' says that the HDD is OK but I want to view the SMART data, how can I do this?

I have searched and found a free tool smartmontools however I could not work out how to compile it, I then searched for a pre compiled version and recieved a warning that it was not compatible with my system?

There's no need to bother compiling SmartMonTools yourself. There are a number of other tools out there that basically add a GUI to SmartMonTools and provide the same information. They all also have free trials. Additionally, if your drive is in an external enclosure, you'll need to add an additional driver that enables the ability to read the SMART data on at least some drives. Check out my reply in this thread. It's pretty thorough on how to test a hard drive and provides links to a few SMART reporting tools.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.