Bitdefender - How to remove components

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2009, Macbook Air 2012
Hi, new forum user here (Mike).

I have a 2009 iMac 24" running Mavericks.

A few months ago, I stupidly installed Bitdefender anti-virus. It wasn't immediately obvious that it was slowing my system down considerably.

I have since become aware of the performance hit I was taking, so deleted the application.

Unfortunately, the associated daemons are still starting up on reboot. One in particular, a serious memory and CPU hog, is BDDaemon. I have tried to remove it using "sudo launchctl", which managed to remove a couple of the others associated with this program, but says there is no such process as BDDaemon. Activity Monitor disagrees, and it's sitting there happily running.

How can I get rid of this confounded thing???

I don't really understand the process launcher, so wonder if there is a BDDaemon file of some kind I can delete, or a configuration file I can edit?

Thanks and regards,
:)
Mike

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Their own uninstaller would be the first place to look for any A/V software.

Appears BitDefender has one for some of their A/V software but not for the scanner.

Nice find on a manual uninstall.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2009, Macbook Air 2012
I'd have thought so too, but I read so many (earlier) postings on various forums (fora?) that its own uninstaller left these bits behind...

regards,
:)
Mike

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.