Macbook upgrades?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 macbook pro 13.3'' i7 750gb 8gb ram, iPad 3 64gb white, black iPhone 5
i currently have a 2011 Macbook pro, its the 13.3 Inch model and is 2.7GHz with 4GB of ram and a 500GB HDD.

As i do a lot more school work i need a bigger screen and more memory, i was going to purchase a Mac G5 but it would be like £500 for all of it, I have therefore decided to upgrade my macbook.

I will purchase an external display, new speakers and a wireless mouse & keyboard.

I also want to upgrade the Ram and the internal HDD to to highest my macbook will take, i also want to upgrade anything else if its possible?

what Ram can i put in it and what hard drive would i need? is there anything else i could do??

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The memory you will need which you can buy from crucial.uk:

Maximum Memory 16 GB (Actual) 8 GB (Apple)
Memory Slots 2 - 204-pin PC-10600 (1333 MHz) DDR3 SO-DIMM

As for the hard drive, any good quality 2.5" x 9.5MM SATA drive will work. You can also consider replacing the hard drive with a SSD. SSDs are fast but more expensive for the same capacity.

Check with Amazon.uk for prices and availability.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
i currently have a 2011 Macbook pro, its the 13.3 Inch model and is 2.7GHz with 4GB of ram and a 500GB HDD.

As i do a lot more school work i need a bigger screen and more memory, i was going to purchase a Mac G5 but it would be like £500 for all of it, I have therefore decided to upgrade my macbook.

I will purchase an external display, new speakers and a wireless mouse & keyboard.

Upgrading the MacBook Pro is definitely the better decision (ram and HD). And as you noted...an external display can solve the larger display issue.

Also...purchasing a "Mac G5" would have been a TERRIBLE decision:

- The last "Mac G5" to be released was in 2005 (much older than your MacBook Pro)
- it would be much slower
- doesn't have an Intel cpu
- probably wouldn't even run a lot of the software/apps you need to use.

Good luck,:)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Both items you listed will work. Make sure you use PayPal or a credit card in case you have to return anything to the seller.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.