How about a new forum

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2014 i5 5k 32gb 1tb fusion, second TB display, 2014 MBA
One called Security. Given the state of the Internet and the way it is going, this topic is going to be more important by the day. Retail data thefts, the Mac camera secret turn-on hack (true or not) and so forth are just two items of the day's news.

So far, the Unix based OSX is fairly immune to the usual open door assaults on that other OS, but even a Mac user who doesn't pay attention can fall for phishing, email spoofing, phony web sites and others.

At the moment, there doesn't seem to be a forum that these topics would fit into without getting buried by the other posts for that area.

Just an idea.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
In my mind, this is a great idea.

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
I think its a good idea as well.

Given that most would assume that security questions would fall under the OSX forum, how ever security its self is both on the software and hardware level. Plus under the software side, there is also browser security issues which also are not fully OSX directed, not to mention also aftermarket per se network security and firewall software. So all in all a forum just on security would be something I would love to see. Hope this gets considered.

- Joe

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I think that's a great idea. I will work on it over the holidays.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I agree, a wonderful idea for a new sub-forum..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Well, I've only become active since the spring of this year (delayed my Apple purchases a year for some reason) but have been posting in a number of threads related to security needs on Apple operating systems, whether OS X or iOS; so would certainly support a new forum - would sub-forums be a consideration? Dave :)

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Dave, it's probably not a bad idea to have Security forum which then gets broken down to OS X and iOS security as the methods and processes are sufficiently different between those two platforms.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I hoping that if we establish a new forum for "Security" related topics...that it sees VERY LITTLE activity.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
My suggestion is not to break it down into subforums because most of the " security " issues ( Threats and vulnerabilities ) are common across technologies. Only the likelihood of that vulnerability being exploited will change due to compensating controls ( or lack there off ) available in that specific technology.
If you do decide for a subforum, call it AWARENESS ..... because that is what is going to help people, not only technology solutions :)

It might also be a good idea not to call it security at all, because you might create wrong expectations.

Only my 2 cents.

Cheers ... McBie

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Good idea for a new area. My first reaction would be not to break it down further. originally I thought a breakdown of IOS versus "regular" gear might be useful then I read McBie's post and changed my mind.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I think it's a great idea too, but lean toward having sub forums

Antivirus and Security Software: this sub would be basic recommendations and discussions on software, prevention and maintenance

Threat Alerts: hot topic forum for current Trojans, pfishing schemes etc

Also could have a sub devoted to smart practices

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I like that breakdown of sub forums and particularly the section on smart practices. Just didn't want to get bogged down in the IOS vs. OS X breakdown. That didn't seem productive.

The Smart/Best practices area might include things such as considerations for not divulging too much information as you traverse the net. I bet most parents don't realize how much information can be data mined from some of the information required on "kids safe" sites.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
We're not going to break it down. It's going to be a general forum for security related discussions, including AV and best practices related to Apple Devices.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Traffic is slow enough without adding more sub forums that folks will wind up posting the wrong subject matter to. Even some of our more seasoned members still don't know which forum to post to and wind up dumping everything in "Switcher".

McBie has the right idea in my opinion. Let's keep it simple folks - you know, KISS! ;)

Edit: I see Chris beat me to it! I fully agree Chris.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Some people seem to have a hard enough time posting topics in the appropriate sub-forum as it is. Increase the number of forums and you'll be moving even more threads. Oh well, I guess. That would probably be an issue with only two choices! (just less often)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
We're not going to break it down. It's going to be a general forum for security related discussions, including AV and best practices related to Apple Devices.

Awesome.. I can't wait. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.