hosting files on ftp

Reaction score
hey i have music files i want to share on my computer at another house with ftp

how do i host the files on ftp i set it under my system prefrences but when i type in the ip and ftp on my WINDOWS computer it says windows cannot access this folder make sure yout typed the file name correctly and that you have permissio nto access the folder

and some other stuff

what i need to know is

how to put files on the ftp and how to access it from a windows computer

Thanks

sorry if its in the wrong section

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
By turing on FTP you will be allowing read access to your whole computer to any account not an admin accounts, and read/write access to all admin accounts.

If you are using a router for broadband you'll need to port forward ftp on port 21. See your router docs for that.

On windows side if using IE it will default to the home directory of the user that authenticates the ftp session. If using a client like filezilla, captian ftp or wsftp they will allow you to browse all files.

Connect using your external ip and user and pass.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
MacsWork said:
By turing on FTP you will be allowing read access to your whole computer to any account not an admin accounts, and read/write access to all admin accounts.

Actually permissions are limited to what the person logging in has any time he is logged in. So, only if the user account logging in has such permissions will you be able to write to admin accounts. Also read permission is limited to whatever group or user privileges that person has. Yes, it is very broad though. I just tested this fact.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Your mac has a short username and I think you'll HAVE to use that. When I ftp into my Mac, I get a prompt to enter the User. I enter xstep. The next prompt is for the password and so I enter that. The default folder you connect to is usually your home directory (folder).

Assuming your using the command line ftp...

When at the ftp prompt type 'pwd' (no quotes) to see where you are. For me it would show /Users/xstep. From there you can navigate anywhere you want.

To change the directory to the Documents folder, type 'cd Documents'. If you have a directory name with spaces or special characters in it, then surround that name with double quotes.

To get a file type 'get filename'.

To put a file on to the Mac type 'put filename'.

Type a ? mark or 'help' at the prompt to see possible commands. To see minimum information about a command, follow the ? mark with the command name.

You'll probably end up wanting to get a GUI ftp tool, as they tend to be easier for novices. Nope, I don't have a recommendation.

You would be better off using sftp which is transfers everthing between the two computers in an encrypted format. Instead of starting the "FTP Access" service, start the "Remote Login" service and find a Windows tool that can do sftp transfers. I also recommend you turn these services off when you don't need them as a security precaution.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
I'd suggest RBrowser for a first timer. Nothing beats a GUI. It offers SFTP if you buy it but does FTP for free.

I'd also setup a managed user account for FTP access.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.