• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Export from iMovie too large to burn to DVD

Reaction score
So I just finished my iMovie project and it came out absolutely perfect! I go to export it via the "Share" option as a "File" and it's too large to burn to a dvd (7.0gb) BUT! In my old iMovie, I could "Export" the file and choose resolution, either Youtube, tv, 720p or 1080p. I just need to export the project in a smaller (lower resolution) format. What am I missing?? The only option I can see is to "Share" Your assistance is GREATLY Appreciated!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I just did one from iMovie 10.0.1 on OS 10 .9.1 and had the option of small,medium and large all listed under share along with where I wanted to send it.
Where are you wanting to send it?

Reaction score
Are transferring to idvd itself and trying to burn a copy. if so click on project menu and select different quality high pro etc. if the imovie rejects the dvd maybe you need to save on the hdd or use dl dvd.

OP
M
Reaction score
I just got a new imac a couple months ago, love it but I'm having a hard twith the differend, updated imovie as well as the lack of iDvd. What I was going to do was "Share" it as a file, then transfer it (via my ext. hd) to my older imac that has imovie and burn.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Why not pop it on a USB thumb drive of say 12/16GB.?The day of the DVD is behind us.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
So I just finished my iMovie project
Which version of iMovie are you using?

OP
M
Reaction score
Why not pop it on a USB thumb drive of say 12/16GB.?The day of the DVD is behind us.

I know, I know, lol I do a annual DVD of my families happenings, sort of a "year in review" sort of thing and the DVD just dropped in the mail. My older family members are just getting the hang of DVD's, lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I know, I know, lol I do a annual DVD of my families happenings, sort of a "year in review" sort of thing and the DVD just dropped in the mail. My older family members are just getting the hang of DVD's, lol

Well, if you family members need DVDs, then you'll have to find a resolution solution to burn your 'movie' to a single layer DVD; however, I still occasional 'burn' CD-Rs & DVD-Rs - for the latter usually old movies from the TCM channel which I save to my DVR - have a Sony stand-alone DVD burner that does 'dual layer', so for several years, I've been using some Verbatim Dual Layer DVD-Rs (8.5 GB capacity) - not sure if your burner does dual layers, but just another consideration - good luck. Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
As you don't have iDVD, Share or Export from iMovie as a movie file then try Burn(free) to produce a dvd. Make sure you choose a Video DVD, and you should have the option to use a dual layer/double sided dvd to fit your large movie onto.

Don't worry too much about the size of your movie file(7Gig), as it's more about the length of the video that determines whether it will fit on a dvd. Burn should tell you if it's too long for a single layer disc.

Also, even though iMovie may Export it as a 720/1080 movie, the dvd resolution will only be 720x576/480. If you want HD dvds you'll need something like Roxio' Toast and an external dvd burner.
DVD-Video - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Burn - Home
Roxio Toast 11 Titanium - CD, DVD, Blu-Ray Burning Software Program for Mac

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.