Unable to backup

Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a MBP. I use a Seagate Free Agent, Goflex external disk for backup. Recently, I am unable to backup and it says "Time Machine could not backup. The backup disk is not available." Normally I just click Back Up Now and it works. Not now! Thanks for your advice.
Aaron

C

chas_m

If you still have everything on your boot drive that you wanted to keep backed up, I would suggest reformatting the Seagate Drive (do NOT use any included Seagate software, just Disk Utility) and doing a fresh new backup.

OP
L
Reaction score
Hi Chas_m,
Thanks for your response. How do I reformat using Disk Ulitity and doing a fresh backup? Many Thanks!
Aaron

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Connect up the external - go into Disk utility, select the drive (Highlight), go into Erase and select mac OS Extended (Journaled) and proceed. Then use Time Machine or cloning software such as SuperDuper or CarbonCopyCloner. Cloning will make the external drive bootable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Our pleasure. Keep coming back eh?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.