More mail than I see???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
This morning when I opened my MacBook I had some incoming mail. The indicator, bottom left said that I had something like 14 e-mails coming in. I had just 3. At times when I send an e-mail I see that several, 8, 9, or more, are being sent, but only the one I am sending is shown in the sent box?

I am running Comodo anti virus and the last time I ran the check manually, last night, it failed twice. I haven't had time to check it properly yet as to why.

Could this be a virus? And if so any ideas as to how I get rid please??

Nearly forgot. I have OS X 10.9

C

chas_m

As there aren't any viruses for the Mac, the answer to your question is NO.

I would bet that the completely unneeded waste of money known as "Comodo anti-virus" is the culprit, "quarantining" emails that could (for all I know) have a windows virus in them (possibly, maybe). If you're getting more than one such email every few months, you are visiting the wrong sites or have very dodgy friends! :)

Another possibility is that filters you've created in (or came with) Mail are automatically filing messages into their correct sub-mailboxes, especially "junk." Perhaps you've never trained the junk filter.

As for the sent emails, sounds like you have some "stuck" emails in drafts that never got sent (probably incorrectly filled out) and they keep trying to go out but fail.

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
The Commodo I have is a freebe and it's on both our MBP and iMac, but the e-mail thing only occurs on the MBP.

Junk filter? I have heard of it but never touched it as far as I can remember? Where is it and how do I 'train' it please :Confused:

I steer well clear of dodgy sites and most of my friends are fairly legal, as far as I know? :\:\:\:\

No drafts. We have draft excluders on the doors and windows. Sorry, got a bit carried away there :Confused:

Try again, no drafts either.

I'll stop Commodo and see what happens.

Ta for the suggestions Chas. It may take a day or so to see any difference?

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
After a few days of watching I thought thta all was well after disabling Comodo, but this morning I 'supposedly' received 39 e-mails and none appeared. We are on a slow line speed here, between 1/2 and 1 meg and on the odd occasion I have had a boat load of mail it has taken a while, but this lot appeared to arrive in about 1 second or so?

Any ideas what the best programme is that I can run to see if I have anything untoward please??

M

MacInWin

There are no viruses for Macs free and out in the world. So basically no virus in the mail can infect your Mac. That said, the simplest way to protect yourself is not to open any email from anybody you don't recognize. Just dump them in the trash without opening them.

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Jake, just googling viruses for Macs tells me that viruses are as common as hens teeth for Macs, but I would really love to know what these phantom e-mails are and where do they come from/go to?

As for unknown e-mails? They come in the front door and out of the back door unopened. I haven't seen it on our iMac, on he same router, so I would love to know what they are. The indicaction that they are inbound isn't there long enough for me to get a screen grab and as I said the incoming bar graph of their arrival only lasts about a second..

M

MacInWin

I'd say check with your ISP or email provider directly to ask them what the spurious emails might be. If they aren't ending up in your inbox, they aren't mail.

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is a good idea Jake, but as far as the contacting them is concerned I have no idea as to where to start?

Any ideas? Sorry to be a pain in the sit-upon mate :[

What I find odd it that it's the same e-mail account on both Macs, but it only seens to happen on one?

M

MacInWin

OK, let's dig a little more. What mail application are you using? Is it the same on both machines? Are the preferences exactly the same on both? Same version on both? Don't give your full email address, but what is the part after the "@" in your email? That is usually the provider of your email service. And your ISP (or Internet Service Provider) is whomever you pay for the connection to your house. So get back with the information and we'll do a little more troubleshooting.

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's very kind Jake.

Our MacBook, the one with the problem, is running Mavericks with the Mac Mail programme version 7.0 (1822). The iMac is on Mountain Lion, not sure of the Mail level, but up to date as far as I know with the auto updates.

Also as far as I know the preferences are the same. The address is @wanadoo.fr on both. The ISP is Orange.fr and when they bought out Wanadoo several years back they wanted everyone to change over to @orange.fr, but there were a load of problems and I didn't change.

As a matter of interest, when I received your e-mail for this reply it came with 59 incoming e-mails. The indication was so quick that although I saw it I couldn't even get the cursor over to it before it vanished. 59 e-mails should take an age to come in, this was a second or so?

I woun't be straight back as it's 11.30 pm here and I am having trouble staying awake. You have to think kindly of us old buggers..O:)O:)

M

MacInWin

As an old bugger myself, I understand completely, sir.

In the morning, I would check the settings on Mail preferences on the MBP, and I would update to mail 7.1 from the Mac Apple Store. That update is part of the 10.9.1 update to Mavericks and fixes some mail problems, although I don't know if it is directed at your particular issue. But by having the latest, at least you and I are on the same version. And note any differences in the preferences between the two systems for mail. That's a bit of a longshot, but as long as we're looking we may as well have that, too.

I love your signature line. My line is "If it doesn't hurt, it doesn't work." Getting more and more true every day, sadly.

Bonne nuit!

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Jake, I have been watching this for a while now and the 'spurious' e-mails are still apearing to be either received or transmitted. My Mail is at 7.1 (1827) and should be the latest as it 'should' update automatically?

I have just had some incoming and I had 1 new mail, but it showed 19 incoming for about 1 second. On our snail, 1/2 meg, line that makes them very small files?

I have stopped Commodo now to see if that was causing problems? It seems strange that out iMac, on Mountain Lion, is nt showing anything like this?

M

MacInWin

John, welcome back. In your original post you said,
The indicator, bottom left said that I had something like 14 e-mails coming in. I had just 3.
What view are you using in Mail? I have version 7.1 as well, and I don't have an indicator in the bottom left. On the top bar for Mail, under View is an entry for either Hide or Show Mailbox list, depending on whether or not the mailbox list is currently displayed. I have mine set to display the mailbox list as I have multiple mailboxes and email addresses coming to Mail. When mail arrives, I get a little oval next to the mailbox with a number in it showing how many mails have arrived and are unread in each mailbox. There is no number at the bottom left, as you indicated. So, what view do you use for email and where, exactly, is this indicator? I'll set my mail to match yours to see what I get when I do that.

Reaction score
He's probably talking about this--
Which you get by clicking the middle button (arrow)

Inbox (11 messages, 1 unread) 2014-01-30 16-51-46.png

M

MacInWin

Thanks, Craig. I clicked it a a little window opened in the sidebar. I'll keep an eye on it to see what I see when mail arrives, but I don't normally sit and wait for mail, so it's going to be somewhat hit and miss.

M

MacInWin

OK, I sent myself some emails to see what it reported. On Send, it showed the message departing. On receive, it reported 61 of 61 for the first email, then 63 of 63 for a second one that came with another email at the same time. Maybe it's counting from some event?

I then closed Mail and opened it again and sent another email to myself. It reported number 3 outbound, but number 1 inbound, so It may be counting how many emails since Mail was last launched.

For the OP, does that seem likely?

UPDATE: Just repeated the process and now both the number sent and received are clearly counting up from the last launch. I think I misread the first report on sent, as it showed as 2 for the second sent since the launch.

Reaction score
I keep Mail open all the time. Tried sending from one account to another:
Sending 5 of 5
Receiving 132 of 132

Quit Mail, re-opened it:
Sending (topic of message) - one email
Receiving 12 of 12

Only got 1 message, the one I sent.
Something strange here...
Although it 'might' be doing some housekeeping in Gmail (that was the receiving account).

Edit: Sent from Gmail to other account:
Sending 2 of 2
Receiving 5 of 5
WTH?

M

MacInWin

Yeah, that's what I saw. It seemed to need some "down" time to update the count after restarting Mail. On first send, it said sending 3 of 3, then on the second send it was 2 of 2. So something funky in the outbound count, but the inbound seemed, for me, to be accurate. In either case, though, it takes a little bit for the counter to reset/correct.

EDIT: I'm on comcast, not gmail, so it's not specific to Gmail, me thinks.

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is the screen I use Craig, spot on.

I use Wanadoo.fr and gmail, though not much of gmail and you are getting exactly the same sort of count as I am. I hadn't thought about closing Mail down. Most of the time I just shut the lid on our MBP.

I have just tried shutting and reopening Mail and as you said it seems to be counting the number sent and received, at least up to 5 tests so far it has? Ve liff, und ve learn?

Strange things going on in the wood shed, to quote the old expression :eek: :eek:

Ta muchly for the solution folks :Cool::Cool:

C

chas_m

I haven't noticed this in years, but it used to be the case that I'd see the number of incoming emails, but those that were classified as "junk" of course never made it into my inbox ... so out of say 30 incoming emails, I might get 10.

Could that be what's going on?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.