• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Griffin and their RMA for a cable....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
My wife has an iPhone charging/syncing cable made by Griffin that just up and stopped working on her. Thankfully it's still under warranty, so I filed an RMA request with them. The response.... well you just have to read this. LOL!

So sorry to hear that you have had issues with your USB to Dock Cable! Looks like we will need to see about getting this replaced under warranty for you.

Since the issue you have has either already been fixed, or the product you're having trouble with is no longer in production, we don't need you to send the product to us for testing.? This method will help save you money (shipping costs) and the hassle of having to send the product back to us. It also has the added benefit of helping us to ensure that your unit is truly non-functional.

*First, please go to our website to create an account and add your shipping information:
https://store.griffintechnology.com/customer/account/create/

If you already have an account please verify your shipping information. If you have more than one address, please let us know which address you would like your replacement shipped to.

*Next, destroy your defective product. Yes, really destroy it. If the defective device has wires, like a charger or headphones, you can just cut those wires so that the device is no longer functional. If the device has a dock connector, like an iTrip or a charging dock, you can break off the idevice connector with a pair of pliers. Also, you may want to use eye protection and protect yourself from any flying debris that may result from this process.

*Second, document the destruction by taking a digital picture of the destroyed product with the case number XXXXXXXX visible somewhere in the photo. You can simply write it down on a piece of paper, or even just hold the product in front of your computer screen with this email visible. Also, please take a digital picture (or scan a copy) of your receipt.

*Finally, send us the pictures. Just reply to this email and attach the digital pictures of the destroyed product with the case number and the receipt along with any other pictures that we might enjoy, such as you holding the destroyed product or the town where you live. Of course including the extra pictures is optional but feel free to include them if you want to.

*We will send you a follow-up email letting you know that we have received your photos and that we are sending out your replacement.

After we have confirmed that the photos were received and your replacement has been shipped, we recommend disposing of your old Griffin product at a recycling or waste disposal center in your area. If you're not sure where to go, here's a link to get you started:

http://www.epa.gov/waste/conserve/materials/ecycling/donate.htm

Once we receive the email and verify the photos we will send a replacement to the address that you have provided online. In order to ensure that we receive your email, please limit the size of the email to around 10MB. If we have not received a response from you within 30 days from the when this email was sent, your request for a replacement will automatically be removed from our system. So please respond as soon as possible.

I think cutting the cable is too bland. Maybe I'll use a lighter and melt it. Or have it hanging from my dog's mouth. Maybe nail the dock-end to a board.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
What a bunch of amateurs. What they're really saying is...we don't trust our consumers any further than we can throw them.

So to save our company money...we won't require you to ship the defective product to us...we want you to do all the work of properly destroying the defective product...then taking photos of the destruction...then e-mailing the photos to us.

And to further reinforce that we do not trust our customers...we will not begin the replacement/warranty process UNTIL we receive the photos & have reviewed them.

Again I say...amateurs!!!:(

- Nick

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well in all honesty, this is a practical way of handling this while avoiding unnecessary postage costs and stopping people from gaming the system. But MAN is it funny! These cables are garbage though. This is the second one to break... the first came apart at the dock end. It's the coiled cable they sell... perfect for the car for use with the radio. Until it breaks, that is. :|

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Well in all honesty, this is a practical way of handling this while avoiding unnecessary postage costs and stopping people from gaming the system. But MAN is it funny! These cables are garbage though. This is the second one to break... the first came apart at the dock end. It's the coiled cable they sell... perfect for the car for use with the radio. Until it breaks, that is. :|

I agree that this process is more efficient. What's wrong is the "form letter" or "form response" they gave. They really need to reword it to be more professional looking/sounding (amateurish as it is).

- Nick

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I agree that this process is more efficient. What's wrong is the "form letter" or "form response" they gave. They really need to reword it to be more professional looking/sounding (amateurish as it is).

Yes, I definitely agree. Well here's what I responded with:

Hello. I have documented the destruction and attached photographic proof, as well as a copy of the receipt. I hope the replacement is made of gold. I couldn’t figure out how to get the email under 10 mb, so I finally had to call a PC expert. That was the fastest 50 bucks I've ever spent. It turns out the followup video of me dropping it in a vat of acid and watching it dissolve was too big to include. DOH! I also forgot to wear goggles and got a piece of copper in my eye, requiring a trip to the ER. The doctors are confident the damage won’t be permanent, though there will be a small risk of developing an abscess in the next few days.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.