recover mailboxes from backups

Reaction score
hi,

I installed Mavericks after a complete format of my mcbook
Previously I did a backup using carbon copy cloner

I have a problem to recover the mailboxes I saved on my mac with Mail

In particular I imported the mailboxes from the backup, but I can only see the main folders with the emails inside and I'm not able to se the subfolders I did

as example (since my english is terrible):

I had the folder Work and inside the subfolders "exp1" and "exp2"
now I can see the folder Work and the emails inside but not "exp1" and "exp2" and their emails

how I can manage to solve this problem

I'm sorry if this question has been already answered. I tried to do a search but I did not find the solution to my problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
1. If you boot from the CCC backup can you access the email as you expect?
2. How are you recovering them?
3. Have you tried using Migration Assistant to bring back just email?

OP
A
Reaction score
hi mrplow,

thanks for the very fast answer:

1 - I did not try. I will check as soon as possible (I will have time to do it after lunch)

2 - I used import mailbox in the mail program and then I selected the mailboxes from the HD were I did the backup. Doing this I cannot select the subfolders, but only the main ones, but I can see them if I open the folder with Finder

3 - I do not know how to do it

OP
A
Reaction score
hi,

I opened Migrant Assistant, but in the mask where I can select what I would like to copy I can select only Applicantions, my previous home (where Library is not selectable), "other files", and other stuff different from mails

since I would not copy other things but only the mailboxes what I should select?

ciao
Antonio

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
If that's all you can see then that's not going to work for you sorry.

OP
A
Reaction score
ok
I just started the macbook from the backup and I discovered that the folder are linked to the /Volume/HD...bla bla but I cannot see them

then I attached my time machine (yes I have two backups) and I'm able to see the mail there.
Time machine ask me if I want to recover the selected mailboxes so I restart the macbook in order to do that recovery when I boot from the macbook hard drive

but my new installation does not recognise time machine and I'm not able to switch from "now" to the older backups

do you have any suggestions?

thanks
Antonio

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
then I attached my time machine (yes I have two backups) and I'm able to see the mail there.
Time machine ask me if I want to recover the selected mailboxes so I restart the macbook in order to do that recovery when I boot from the macbook hard drive

but my new installation does not recognise time machine and I'm not able to switch from "now" to the older backups

Sorry you lost me there.

Can you explain step by step what happened?

Because, if you have a TM backup, you just open the Time Machine app, navigate to the folder/files in question and choose to restore that file or folder.
No reboot/no being asked to recover selected files/no new installation

So I'm more than a little confused about what you have done

OP
A
Reaction score
hi,

I was not clear so I'll try to summarise everything step by step

last week I decided to format my macbook HD and re-install Mavericks. The reason was that the macbook had some problems and during years I installed to much useless stuff

so I did a backup with Time Machine (TM), as I do every month, and with Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC)

then I format the macbook and install Mavericks and then I started to copy all my previous documents and settings from the CCC-backup

until now everything is working properly, but I was not able to recover the mailbox "on my mac" that I have

I checked that the .mbox files/directory are on the CCC-backup but when I import them with Mail I cannot see the subfolders (as I already said in previous posts)

then after your suggestion I start the macbook from the CCC-backup since it is a bootable backup.
I opened Mail and where the mailbox should be there is written something like "link to /Volumes/ANTO/bla bla boa/nameof the mailbox folder/" <--- the folder path in the CCC-backup

so I connected TM and I open it (still with the macbook settings of the CCC-backup) and I browsed into the previous TM backups finding all the mailboxes and mailboxes subfolders
In TM when I selected some Mailbox there was a sentence like "do you want to recover this folders? then press here"

so I disconnect TM and shut down the mac, disconnect also the CCC-backup and restart the macbook

after it was started I connected again TM disk but the system did not recognise the disk as a TM one.
So I push the option: "Browse other backup disk" and I open the TM disk but in this case I cannot select the previous backups and so I do not know how to recover them

I'm thinking to start the macbook from CCC-backup and then recover the mailboxes and then export them on a specific folder and then import from that folder

could it work?

maybe now is more clear

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.