New & Old MBP?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" I7 first one and loving it.
Ok have ordered a refurbished MBP. I currently have one now that I'm going to give to my wife to replace her windows laptop.

All the software on the old one is registered under my Apple Id. Not much was purchased apps most are free. I'm cheap. CCC and Apperture being the most expensive. She will only use web browser and mail.

My plan was to use Time Machine to migrate all my data and apps to the new MBP. Then delete all the apps I think she will not use on the old Mac. Get rid of my mail data "not sure how to do this" Clear all the browser data and so on.

Doing it this way will I be all squared with apple? I assume that I have no choice but to set up an Apple ID for her? Do I have to change my ownership in some way on the old MBP to be able to set up a ID for her?

Am I going about this wrong?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
We use the same Apple ID on all of our in house computers - whether mine or the wife's.

Why pay twice for an app or book or song or movie or any other piece of data you purchase from Apple when they basically permit you to have it on all the computers you own?

Everything on that old computer bought from Apple is tied to that Apple ID. So, no software updates without it - meaning if you don't wipe the drive and do a clean install from scratch - she'll have to remember two Apple IDs - one for any old purchases and one for all the new purchases - that would be a pitb...

Around here, whatever I own is hers and whatever she owns is hers...

If you're planning for a divorce, you'll want to go ahead and keep separate accounts. That way, no arguments over who gets the Apple ID or iTunes account.

If using iCloud for syncing mail, calendars and other individual personal items to other devices - you will want separate iCloud accounts. Since my wife is newer to iCloud - I use the primary Apple ID for both and she uses the primary Apple ID for apps, music, etc. and has a separate iCloud account for syncing the personal stuff to her iPhone.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
LOL, it's amazing how many of us can say the same thing... After 32 years of marriage, I don't worry about possession. :p

OP
V
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" I7 first one and loving it.
47 years here, and I now own nothing...I just borrow her stuff.

43 years for me and I feel your pain. Should have seen me dancing around why I got to use the new one and she gets my old one.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I think that my wife would agree with me. I do own one thing...my jock-strap!;)

- Nick

p.s. But maybe not what goes in it!!!;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.