• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Tax Time!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, US members..... Which tax software are you going to use to do your 2013 US taxes?

The MAS has TurboTax available as a download. Price for the standard version is $29.99 and includes e-filing your return.

H&R Block at Home is $19.99 for their basic version but the system requirements to use it are vague at best.

The other tax software packages such as TaxACT are on line only for the Mac. They do not publish a download version for the Mac.

By the way, State Tax inclusions are extra for you poor folks who live in a state that has income tax! ;)

Any other suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" I7 first one and loving it.
I have used Turbo Tax for about 20 years. It has always done a great job for me. Before I started using it I did them by hand. Take my word for it Turbo Tax is much easier.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Yes...it is starting to be that time. My wife usually does the taxes...and I know that she keeps her eyes peeled for the deals. I think that the past couple years the best deal she has found for TurboTax was from Costco. I would say we've been using TurboTax for close to 15 years.

Yes...we need to buy the state tax as well!:(

Here's an article I found listing the top 7 DIY tax packages:

Best Tax Software: Reviews of the Tax Preparation Software

I'm thinking that there are the top 2-3 packages...then a distant 4-7 for the other one's in terms of popularity.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Pen and paper and a calculator.

I've done it that way every year since I was 15 (about 21 yrs now). Now I'm married, have a mortgage and I deduct things like automobile registration taxes, charitable donations, etc. I'm very patient and thorough and confident when filing. :) About 2 or 3 yrs ago I compared my final forms to a free online software from H&R Block and the software was actually missing a nice deduction that I knew about from reading the instruction book.

M

MacInWin

I use TT for our taxes. My wife has a home business, so I need to get one of the upgrades for TT, but it makes it easy to get it all done once her accountant give us the breakdown.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I'll use Pen and Paper 1.0 as I always have.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
We don't use any software and just use H&R Block and meet with our tax guy there for an hour with our paperwork. They file electronically and the refund is direct deposit. It's pretty painless and our guy always seems to find some extra goodie we would have missed. I dislike taxes so it's probably best that I'm as removed from the process as possible!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.