Early 2011 MB Pro Performance Issues Post Battery Replacement

Reaction score
I have an early 2011 MB Pro 15". I started getting the old "battery needs to be serviced" about 2 months ago, and about a week ago, it would just shut off. I bought a replacement battery on eBay and installed it.

The performance was cut drastically. I couldn't even watch Netflix without the video loosing sync. I have been looking online for a while, and I found where resetting the SMC and the PRAM were highly recommended. After completion of that, it is better, but the video frame rates are still not what they should be. I do not have a quantitative number, but you just notice that there is a "ghosting effect".

That is problem 1. I use my MB Pro more for playing SWTOR via bootcamp than anything else. I have windows 7 64-bit installed on my bootcamp partition and the game. That is it. My performance there is absurd since the battery changeout. I have thought about deleting the partition and starting over now that the SMC has been reset, but I do not want to do that until I get the Mac side running smoothly, which it is not.

The system has been running hot, I have it elevated 3 inches with a fan blowing on it to keep cool which has helped.

This is my first Apple Computer since my Apple 2GS in 1989. I really love the Mac side OS and software. I really do like my MB Pro, but this is really putting a bad taste in my mouth for the apple world.

Other pertinent info - OSX 10.7.5
SMC version 1.69f4
16GB RAM
Intel I7 2.2 GHz

Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, you are my only hope!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
This is my first Apple Computer since my Apple 2GS in 1989. I really love the Mac side OS and software. I really do like my MB Pro, but this is really putting a bad taste in my mouth for the apple world.

No need to go off the "deep-end"...it doesn't even seem like you done any troubleshooting yet!;) First thing I would do is an SMC reset:

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

- Nick

p.s. And FYI...a replacement battery via e-Bay may not have been the best idea!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have reset the SMC and the PRAM. No Dice

The best thing to do is return to a state when things were basically fine. Remove the replacement battery...and reinstall the old battery. See if things return to normal.

- Nick

OP
timmy39120
Reaction score
I guess, I do that, it works, but I am back to random shutdowns. But you would then suggest that I send the battery back and get a refund and then purchase one from Apple. Are we thinking the same thing?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess, I do that, it works, but I am back to random shutdowns. But you would then suggest that I send the battery back and get a refund and then purchase one from Apple. Are we thinking the same thing?

Since things seem to be better with the old battery (or at least back to where you started)...yes...I would suggest getting a replacement battery from Apple.

Some/most E-Bay replacement batteries can be "crap"! You get what you pay for. You could also try a replacement battery from these guys (save a few bucks vs. Apple):

- Other World Computing (OWC)

They are much more reputable.:)

- Nick

OP
timmy39120
Reaction score
I did replace the battery and the performance is back. 14 mAh max charge. Time for a new battery. Only 44 cycles. I should probably cycle my next battery more. Thank you for your help and the OWC link. I will update when I get things sorted out.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're welcome. Good luck.:)

- Nick

OP
timmy39120
Reaction score
Follow up:

I ended up going to an Apple Store and getting tim to replace it. In the Apple store, all you pay for is the part. They put it in for free. After the new battery was put in, my machine is running like new.

Lesson Learned: Suck it up and pay the piper. Go with the Apple battery.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.