Adobe CS & Mac Mini - performance?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
I'm thinking about selling my Windows laptop and getting a Mini for work. My primary applications are Microsoft Word, Illustrator CS, Photoshop CS, InDesign CS, and Acrobat 7. I will also be adding Flash 8 and BBEdit if I do the switch. My primary concern is the Adobe CS package. If I do get a Mini, it will have a 7200rpm hard drive, a gig of ram, and hopefully be one of the 1.5ghz models. How will a Mini like that handle CS? CS runs really well on my laptop (2ghz Athlon 64 with 2gb ram), although load times are a little slow due to the 4200rpm hard drive. What can I say, I enjoy working with OS X more than XP ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
1.5Ghz would be plenty of juice for CS as long as you have that gig of RAM in there. Flash may be a little less responsive then you would like it to be... but still functional.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
sarahsboy18 said:
1.5Ghz would be plenty of juice for CS as long as you have that gig of RAM in there. Flash may be a little less responsive then you would like it to be... but still functional.

Yeah...I'd really love a Mini, partly for the "cool" factor, but it may be wiser to wait until the Intel Minis are available.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
It will all run fine unless what you are planning on doing with it is "pro level" it sounds like you are a web designer, so it should not be that hard to do, but if you are a professional photographer who is making a portfolio site and working with you photos too then it might be a little slow.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube
PowerBookG4 said:
It will all run fine unless what you are planning on doing with it is "pro level" it sounds like you are a web designer, so it should not be that hard to do, but if you are a professional photographer who is making a portfolio site and working with you photos too then it might be a little slow.

No, nothing too heavy as far as web design goes. Right now, 90% of my work is hand-coding using Notepad in Windows, but I'd like a tool that highlights syntax simply for easier reading. I haven't found anything I like in the Windows world, but BBEdit looks like it's worth a shot. I also do print work; I use Photoshop and Illustrator for book covers, graphics, and logos and InDesign for manuscripts. I'm sure compiling a 500+ page manuscript from InDesign to PDF would take time on just about any computer, so I'm not too worried about that.

T

TTT_Travis

Yes, CS will run just fine on the mini, I run photoshop CS on a G3 Blue and White with 350mhz cpu and 512mb of ram and it gets the job done for my general webdesign purposes. Also, BBEdit is awesome, I didn't like it at very first but once I used it I realized how nice it is, try it, buy it, or use the free one (TextWrangler?) thats supposed to be just like it with less functionality.

Travis

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.