Looking for help with decision on which mac I want/need,

Reaction score
Hello. I haven't been in this forum for a long time. My work mac has been an early macbook, one of the original ones. It's served me well but I'm long overdue for a new one.

Recently I bought a MB Pro refurb, non retina and I like it. I almost went with a 13" retina but I like a dvd drive. Also my current old macbook is on it's 3rd battery. I hear you can't change the retina models and that's a big turn off for me.

As you can see I keep a computer for awhile and don't need the latest gaming graphics. But all these reviews are making it sound like I just bought a dinosaur. And yesterday I went to add Applecare and found out it cost $349! Applecare seems pricey on this model. It's hard to add that to this MBP that is already considered old. I feel like for all this money I want something that's going to last for 3-4 years. I use it for music and lots of videos and usual web stuff. In my studio office at work.

I'm just unsure. I don't need it portable but don't have a lot of room. The low end $1299 imac is a consideration as well, but the keyboard, track pad, add a optical drive...I kinda don't have that much room at my desk for all that stuff. I was going this way until I found out the magic trackpad needs battery changing every 3-4 weeks. That's ridiculous. I guess I could add a wired mouse...but ..
I just can't decide on which one.

OP
J
Reaction score
Maybe try a different way. I'm not up on all the latest processors and tech specs. I don't know what quad core is other than it's better than dual core, ha...Haswell, nvidia..I just ain't up on all that. I just want a good machine that can last me 4 years.

Trying to weigh pros and cons. Narrowed down to three choices: last years MBP 15 -4 G RAM vs. a new 13' reitna base model vs. base imac?

-imac seems to be best value, and awesome screen. but lots of peripherals (which I can deal with) but changing batteries, which is a huge downer. I wish they made a wired trackpad!!!!!!!!!!

How capable is processor of a MBP 15 with quad core to a new rMBP 13" (base model)?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.