Connecting TV as monitor to Macbook?

Reaction score
I am thinking of getting a Samsung TV which has VGA input to connect to a pc so I can use it as monitor, would this also work on the average macbook please?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi Mike.... - before buying your TV, you might want to tell us: 1) Type & Model of the Samsung TV, i.e. is this a HDTV & what VGA standard(s) are present; also are there HDMI inputs; and 2) Provide the information asked about your computer & OS being used.

There are numerous VGA standards beginning w/ 640 x 480 resolution in the late 1980s; the newer standards now match DVI & HDMI resolutions (check HERE) - my point is that depending on what resolution you are running on your computer, I'm assuming you would want the same or similar appearance on the TV - this is an important consideration. Also keep in mind that VGA will NOT transmit audio (vs. HDMI), so if you want to use the TV to show AV content, such as movies, you would need to setup audio separately if using VGA or its more recent iterations. Dave :)

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for the info and advice Dave, I would only want to use the TV's screen to get a much larger view for my videos showing on my mac, the sound will go from the headphone out on the mac direct to my music system. I will advise on my intended purchase, get back here.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.