Best place on the net to buy memory???

S

shoude77

hello guys,

I was wondering what's the best place on the web to buy memory? I just bought a 2x2GHZ G5 and I want to put like 1GB more memory in that monster....

Also, because it's a dual processor, do I have to put 2 equal chips on each motherboard? I heard that once...

thx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
What do you mean "each motherboard"?

OP
S

shoude77

to_tough_to_die said:
What do you mean "each motherboard"?

Actually i've got my answer in Apple's guide : I've got 8 memory slots (in two banks of four each). DIMMs must be installed in equal-sized pairs.

So basically it's on the same motherboard (my mistake) but installed in pairs. I can't just install one 512mb on one side... I've got to put 2x256.

Reaction score
As you say

You found the answer. In a dual system you must install memory in pairs. If you want a gig more memory to get the full gig you need two 1 gig chips. If you install 2 512 chips then you have really only increased by 512. though total memory has been increased by 1 gig. Don't try putting a 512 in one bank and a 1 gig in the other bank...

As for the best place on the net for ram, check http://www.newegg.com they usually have some great prices for quality ram. Check their prices on some Corsair Value Select ram that will work with your particular machine, good stuff and good prices.

OP
S

shoude77

thanks for the info guys...

I noticed that the're many company doing memory : Samsung, Corsair, Kensington, Ramjet, etc..

What's the difference? Do I have to buy quality memory or it's all the same?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM
so if I buy 2 gigs of memory 2x1 gig I would put one in ecah bank so each proccessor would have 1 gig?

OP
S

shoude77

mr g5 said:
so if I buy 2 gigs of memory 2x1 gig I would put one in ecah bank so each proccessor would have 1 gig?

Yes. Dual processors work together so they must have the same RAM.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
interesting information i see here...so we are saying that if, for example in my dual 2.7, i have 2.5 gigs of ram each processor only has 1.25 gigs of ram? that is new to me and very interesting....

i purchase all my memory at newegg because they have really good prices most of the time.

when purchasing memory make sure that it is a) the correct type and b) comes with a lifetime warantee. it also is a relatively large factor in the ideal of 'you get what you pay for'

-chrsi

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
powermacG5 2.3ghz 2gig ram running logicpro7
cool topic this :)

ive just bought a 2.3 dual powermac with 2 gig installed, am now wanting to stick some more ram in there. Do i have to buy the same make ram thats already in there?

if so how do i find out what make it is

cheers

OP
B

bfx

I'm new to Macs but in general ....

When adding memory try to stick to the same brand and latency timings as the original memory. If you can add the same size sticks as well that's even better. Of these matching the latency timing is the most important. Mismatches can lead to erratic memory operation.

Apart from Newegg I've also bought a lot of memory from ....

http://www.pcprogress.com/

Prices and service are competetive and sometimes PCProgess carries memory that Newegg doesn't. You should get good prices, sticks and service from either.

bfx

OP
R

rorober

Ram

Check out www.ramseeker.com I don't know the quality, but at two different places you could get (for a G5) 8 gig for under $700 or 4 gig for under $350.

When the page loads, select the mac you have in the top right and then hit go!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
get it from newegg, its the best.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.