Cannot see/find library folder

Reaction score
Hi all,

I cannot find my library folder which is supposedly in my user (simon) foler. Please advise.

M

MacInWin

In Finder, top bar, click Go, then hold Option key and see Library appear. Apple has hidden it because of the mischief that can occur when people who don't know what they are doing go mucking about in it. (Hint, hint).

OP
S
Reaction score
Just one extended question relating to the topic, is it generally safe to delete files from the Preference folder? By 'safe' I mean files that do you possess a threat to the operation of the OS such as Plist files. E.g. What about other files within preferences such as 'Flash or Macromedia'.

M

MacInWin

If you don't know exactly what a plist is doing, the best thing is to leave it alone. Plists are preferences lists (hence "plist") written by applications as notes to themselves about how to run. They are text files, very small for the most part and represent zero threat to the operation of the system unless you muck with them without knowing what you are doing (hint, hint, hint, hint).

Some plists will recreate if you delete them, others will leave the application in limbo, uncertain of what to do or where to find things. Applications like Appcleaner will try to clean out plists, but because the naming of plists is entirely up to the application, it does an imperfect job.

I've been running OSX since 2008, never done a totally clean install, always restored what I had, and my entire Preferences folder is only 124 megabytes, tiny in today's world, so my best advice, and yes, I'm shouting:

LEAVE THE LIBRARY FOLDER ALONE.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Had to go check my Pref folder - it's 6.02 GB. :eek:

But, vudu is using up 5.87 GB of that.

Agree with the above - pretty much the only time I go into either of the Library folders is for specific troubleshooting and after I've removed an app I know I won't install again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.