Mavericks and DVD Player Problems

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Can anyone suggest a solution or workaround for this problem:

I have an EHD on which I have legally copied DVDs, personally owned and, in many cases, made myself.

They play without hitch on OS X Lion and Mountain Lion; but I'm having lots of problems since upgrading to Mavericks.

In some cases, they play fine. In some cases, I only get audio. In other cases, I get the message that the media format is incompatible with DVD Player — despite the fact that they are all suffixed .dvdmedia.

I can play them perfectly using VLC, but I like DVD Player because it remembers where you stopped off last time.

I've excluded an EHD problem by playing them on other iMacs with Lion & ML as stated above.

Any ideas?

As always, I greatly appreciate anyone who takes the time to read and reply.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Hello Ian,

Apple appear to have stopped putting iDVD on new Macs since Lion. Whilst iMovie got an upgrade with Mavericks you can no longer directly export from iDVD to iMovie.

You might have to use a 3rd party app to play your movies as you have demonstrated. There is an app called DVD Creator for Mac (Mavericks compatible) which I believe you can also export your movies to but it costs..Aimersoft DVD Creator for Mac: Convert Video to DVD on Mac | OFFICIAL

Merry Chrimble !

OP
IWT

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Thank you very much for taking time out to reply.

I'll give these a go; review them anyway.

As I said, it's not that I can't play them — VLC, Quick Time and Real Player will do the job. The only reason for wanting to use the DVD Player app is that it remembers where you left off. With the others, as far as I can see, require to start at the beginning each time.

That's life. Thank you again, much appreciated.

And a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year (the latter being particularly relevant to me as a Scot!).

Ian

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
We just had a thread in the last couple of days that had a fix for getting DVD Player working when using an external drive - will see if I can find it...

edit:
check MacinWin's post # 10 here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Thank you very much for taking time out to reply.

And a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year (the latter being particularly relevant to me as a Scot!).

Ian

No worries Ian. Looks like a reasonable fix bobtomay put you onto.

I must say I agree with some of the sentiments in the link about DVD's. I get HD iTunes movies now and use my daughter's Netflix account, in fact we just 'invested' (cost a blinking fortune) in a MacBook Pro 13" Retina for the same daughter's degree and there is no DVD drive on that either!

Thank you for the Seasonal sentiments, you Scots can certainly celebrate...unlike us Irish of course who never touch a drop;P

OP
IWT

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you bobtomay. I've followed the link and get the gist of MacinWin's post and from it, some other ideas too. You and pendlewitch have been a great help. I feel guilty for not having researched the forum and picked up on the other thread. But that what it's all about. Helping each other.

A shame, sometimes, when "moving on" means "giving up what was there before and worked fine". Anyway, as always, I am indebted to you all.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.