Transfer Ph Contacts to iPad Air

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac = 20-inch, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD, Leopard. iPod Nano = 4GB, Silver
Hi:)

Spent all day seeing if there is a way but not getting far. How do I transfer my iPhone 4s contacts with phone numbers to my iPad Air?

I've already transferred my iMac Contacts with email to my iPad Contacts
I don't use iCloud as not on my iMac
I have iTunes

Is there a way or do I have to go through my current contacts and enter phone numbers etc
thanks

Jenn

C

chas_m

Two ways: either sync your iPhone 4s (and your iPad Air) with iTunes on your Mac (or PC), *or* you can upgrade to the point where you use iCloud and use that.

After reading your post a little more carefully (it's a little confusingly written), I think you're saying that you have THE SAME contacts on your iMac and iPad Air -- but (somehow, not explained at all) you didn't include the phone numbers?

If you could clarify that a little (a lot, actually ... but its late, the confusion might be coming from my end ...)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
If you have your contacts on your 4s (stored in the contacts app and not synced to a third party email service etc) you you can use the same iCloud ID on both the 4s and iPad Air and the contacts will sync over the air

OP
KiwiJenn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac = 20-inch, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD, Leopard. iPod Nano = 4GB, Silver
chas_m
Yea I have the same Contacts on my iMac and iPad, both without phone numbers.But now I have phone numbers and emails.

Thanks mrplow that worked although I now have doubles of some contacts on both devices now. Meaning my email contacts on my ipad are separate to the same contacts on my iphone with ph numbers.

Can I reverse the process?

I think I will just add phone numbers to my ipad contacts that use Facetime since my ipad is only wifi:p

I didn't know iCloud worked like that, I thought I had to have it setup on my iMac too.

I think I need to really read up about iCloud to see what I can do using iphone and ipad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I think I need to really read up about iCloud to see what I can do using iphone and ipad.

It can be a very useful tool. You can use iCloud for backup (once turned on it backs up the device automatically when on wi-fi and power - like over night when charging etc). It'll keep notes in sync between you devices, calendars, reminders, bookmarks, photostreams and more.

Can I reverse the process?
You can turn iCloud contact syncing off again and you'll be given the option to delete contacts that were synced.

It's only a suggestion/my view but ......... maintaining multiple instances of contacts with variations is madness.

If I were you (I did this many moons ago) I would turn off iCloud syncing of contacts. Choose a device to work with (your Mac may be easiest). Sit down work through the contacts one by one adding a much complete and correct information as you can, using your iPhone and iPad for reference. Once done, create yourself a Gmail account ( you don't have to make use of the email part it can be simply for this one purpose of storing contacts).

Setup cardDAV (contacts) syncing on your Mac
https://support.google.com/mail/answer/2753077?hl=en

Once done you can check online that the Gmail account has all the same contacts you now have on your Mac. You can even export them from Gmail as a backup if you wish.

Now delete all contacts from your iPad and iPhone and ensure iCloud contact syncing is off.

Use the same instructions above to add the gmail cardDAV account to the iPad and the iPhone.

From now on all your devices will stay in sync with one another. Should you ever get a new device be it Mac, iPhone, iPad, Android phone/tablet, Windows PC, Linux box they can all use the cardDAV standard for contact syncing.

OP
KiwiJenn
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks mrplow

I like your suggestion of having contacts with all there info, so I don't have doubles is a good plan. I will work on that first.

Your step by step guide is good and I understand it :) I will book mark this topic incase I need to come back to it for more help.

thanks, wish me luck, this is a learning process for me hehe

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.