Pro&Cons of upgrading 2009 iMac from Snow Leopard to Mavericks?

Reaction score
I just finished installing Mavericks on my MBA 2011 and am trying to decide if there is any added benefits/or drawbacks to upgrading my iMac.
Wondering if there is any added security in Mavericks compared to Snow Leopard? I have always been pretty happy with Snow Leopard and feel in control of my computer. Not sure if I will feel that way with Mavericks OS. I have not had time to get used to it yet.
What advantage (s) is there to my upgrading? And why is Mavericks being offered for free? That in itself puzzles me.
My iMac is a mid 2009 24" Core 2 Duo Intel 64 bit at 3.0 MHz with 4gb ram. Further specs are listed below this.
I am hoping to get some opinions from the folks on here due to the vast amount of knowledge I feel most members here possess.
Thanks in advance!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
And why is Mavericks being offered for free?

Out of curiosity...what is your conspiracy theory? Otherwise why would you be concerned about it, or question it??

- Nick

OP
MacLicious
Reaction score
Out of curiosity...what is your conspiracy theory? Otherwise why would you be concerned about it, or question it??

- Nick

I am just naturally suspicious of freebies. In this case not really that they are being devious though. I just wonder if they are trying to make up for past mistakes. I think from different users on different forums that they really haven't got enough people loving their OS's like they did when they came out with SL.

Wondering why it is free was really me just thinking out loud!

I am more concerned with any pros and cons you can think of as you are so much more experienced than I am.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think from different users on different forums that they really haven't got enough people loving their OS's like they did when they came out with SL.

Ok...using Snow Leopard as a "positive OS example". Why would Apple charge:

- Anywhere from $99.95 to $129.95 for Mac OS 10.0, 10.1, 10.2, 10.3, 10.4, and 10.5
- But only $29.99 for 10.6 (Snow Leopard)
- $29.99 for 10.7
- $19.99 for 10.8
- and FREE for 10.9

It's simply a change of strategy...and to be different from the "other guys" (Windows).

You might also ask why (since 1984) Apple has had basically no copy protection on Mac OS install media...yet MS Windows still continues with all sorts of painful copy protection & validation schemes??

Windows has certainly had some "stinker" OS releases...such as Vista!;) This hasn't stopped them from charging top-dollar for OS releases!:(

Stuff to think about.:)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Windows has certainly had some "stinker" OS releases...such as Vista! This hasn't stopped them from charging top-dollar for OS releases!

Stinker # 1 = Windows ME

Stinker # 2 = Windows Vista

Stinker # 3 = Windows 8

Stinker # 4 = ?

Not only charge top dollar for their OS, but also Office including Mac Office. The latest version of iWork for Mavericks is free from Apple when you buy a new Mac or upgrade from iWork 09. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Mavericks is very stable on my iMac and would recommend it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Stinker # 1 = Windows ME

Stinker # 3 = Windows 8

Stinker # 4 = ?

Ha ha!:) I knew that there were other 'stinker's"...but I didn't feel experienced enough to call them out! But actually...whenever I have to use any Windows OS...they all seem like "STINKER'S" to me.;);)

And seriously...I don't mean that in a closed-minded Apple "fan-boy" sort of way!;) I just prefer the simplicity & ease of using the Mac OS.:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And to be 100% fair...while Apple does have:

- Great prices for OS upgrades (Mavericks was free).
- Mac OS upgrades are very fast & easy to install (versus Windows).
- Apple has AWESOME customer service.

Apple also:

- Charges us a definite premium price for the hardware.
- The hardware is getting more & more "closed" (fewer & fewer user installable upgrades).
- High prices for out of warranty repairs.
- Some older hardware is made obsolete very very quickly.

So while we have gotten great OS upgrade prices for the last 3+ years...we do pay BIG BUCKS in other ways.

- Nick

C

chas_m

And to be 100% fair...while Apple does have:

- Great prices for OS upgrades (Mavericks was free).
- Mac OS upgrades are very fast & easy to install (versus Windows).
- Apple has AWESOME customer service.

Apple also:

- Charges us a definite premium price for the hardware.
- The hardware is getting more & more "closed" (fewer & fewer user installable upgrades).
- High prices for out of warranty repairs.

I'm surprised that you haven't put 2+2 together there yet. The REASON we have terrific customer service and **WAY** more reliable machines than ever before AND great prices on some things is BECAUSE Apple charges a "premium" to make all that happen (and focuses on making machines more reliable by removing the things that history has shown to be the cause of the most headaches -- Flash, Java, slot-loading DVD drives and user-installable upgrades!).

Maybe you've never belonged to a Gentlemen's club or a country club or some other establishment like that, but this is not a unique model ... pay more up front, get a LOT more of the things that matter to you ... from fancy restaurants to limited-edition album packages to some of the really great car brands ... Apple is a premium brand intended for those who recognise and appreciate "value for money spent" over "least possible cost." Heck, anyone who's ever had to replace a roof knows the difference between the "low bid" and the "solid reputation" is worth the difference in cost (and saves money in the long run).

As for this:

- Some older hardware is made obsolete very very quickly.

I'm calling shenanigans on this. Perhaps we just have very different ideas of what "very very" means, but I can't think of a single product I would say is "made obsolete" by Apple in a "very very" short timeframe.

This is the company that just made Mavericks available as a possible upgrade to hardware that is in some cases as old as seven years! And which offers the latest iOS to devices more than four years old! Now that's not as long an average lifespan as Macs, I grant you, but that is the nature of the mobile industry and hardly Apple-specific.

OP
MacLicious
Reaction score
Ya know you guys don't have to sell me on mac. I hate windows. That's why I have both an imac and MBA, 2 ipads, an iphone (albeit ip4) and 4 various models of ipods.

I was really more hoping to get reasons why I should / shouldn't upgrade my mid 2009 24" imac from Snow Leopard to Mavericks.

So far here is my pro/con list.

Pros
-many more apps available from the mac app store
-better security???

Cons
-will not feel in complete control of all files&programs like I feel with SL
-might slow down my computer??

Please help me decide by adding to my pros and cons list if you know of any. Thanks

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Another thing to add to your PRO list is the Memory Compression. It really seems to help with 4GB RAM and memory usage.

Also if you use more than one display, Multi Display support it way improved.

Since you own a newer iMac though I would upgrade to 8GB if you can afford it. but I find Mavericks with Memory compression better in handling 4GB RAM than Mountain Lion and Lion did with the same RAM. With enough RAM Mavericks flies! It's fast. FAster than Lion and even ML.

The only negative for me is some video codecs work under Mavericks. I have a Work around that works for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2015 13"MBA 2.2GHz i7, 8GB RAM, OS X 10.11.6
Stinker # 1 = Windows ME

Stinker # 3 = Windows 8

Stinker # 4 = ?

Not only charge top dollar for their OS, but also Office including Mac Office. The latest version of iWork for Mavericks is free from Apple when you buy a new Mac or upgrade from iWork 09. ;D
Actually, I'd place ME at #3. Windows 1 and 2 were total POS flops. Microsoft didn't even have solid GUI OS until 3x came out in 1990 - over 5 years after Apple released theirs. Check THIS out for enlightening read by Tandy Trower, who was the like the 5th product manager to be put on the Windows project before they actually put something to market. IMHO, 98 and XP were the most solid consumer product that MS ever put out, which isn't saying much because I made the switch to Mac while using XP. They're STILL a decade behind...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm surprised that you haven't put 2+2 together there yet.

You're making a bit of a leap there. How do you know I don't already know that...and have have known it for a long time??;) I don't exactly post EVERYTHING I know in every post I make just to keep folks from being "surprised"!;)

And remember...no company is perfect...EVEN Apple. All companies have their shortcomings.

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Actually, I'd place ME at #3. Windows 1 and 2 were total POS flops. Microsoft didn't even have solid GUI OS until 3x came out in 1990 - over 5 years after Apple released theirs. Check THIS out for enlightening read by Tandy Trower, who was the like the 5th product manager to be put on the Windows project before they actually put something to market. IMHO, 98 and XP were the most solid consumer product that MS ever put out, which isn't saying much because I made the switch to Mac while using XP. They're STILL a decade behind...

That is very true. Windows 1 and 2 were a joke. Even 3.0 was not the best. 3.1 was the first Windows that at least had a decent GUI, but it was still really (no matter what anyone says) a shell on Top of DOS. It crashed so much I saw grown people cry over loosing all their work and time. And yes I owned and worked with most of the older versions of Windows.

Mac OS (System) from the beginning was superior.

Windows 95 was the (To me) first Windows that had a nice GUI and was at least pretty stable.

Windows 2000 is where to me MS really got it right. At the time 2000 made Mac OS9 look antique with true preemptive multitasking and flat page memory management. It took OSX to blow it away! I was using 2000 and it never crashed on me. Then I tried OSX 10.2 and was won over. From that point on Windows became my Gaming OS! :D Grin

Sorry for going on and on but when i saw your comments about old Windows I had to comment! :D

And yes XP was nice for Windows anyway!

M

MacInWin

Also remember MS is a software company. They don't sell hardware (much). Apple is fundamentally a hardware company, so they can discount their software, or even give it away, and still be making metric craptons of money on hardware.

OP
MacLicious
Reaction score
I phoned Apple to find out if I could upgrade the ram in my iMac and the answer is yes. I have 4gb now which is 2x2gb modules and I would need 2x4gb modules. He did not have prices but is located locally and was guessing that it would be between $100 and $150 for the ram.

I then asked him why Mavericks is free and he didn't know. He did say that if I stay on SL it would not be worth it to increase the ram. I agree as I have not had any problems with it thus far. He did say if I was going to upgrade to Mavericks that I should upgrade the ram although it supposedly can run on 2gb of ram and we all know that it not going to run smoothly with only 2.

So now I have to decide if I want to spend upwards of $150 plus installation for this.

M

MacInWin

Check Crucial and OWC for better pricing than Apple for memory. OWC even has videos showing exactly how to remove and replace it so you can do it yourself.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I then asked him why Mavericks is free and he didn't know.

That's because there is no "secret" conspiracy to the whole thing. Mavericks is just free. Smile & enjoy it!:)

So now I have to decide if I want to spend upwards of $150 plus installation for this.

8gig ram upgrade from OWC is $97.50.

- Nick

OP
MacLicious
Reaction score
That's because there is no "secret" conspiracy to the whole thing. Mavericks is just free. Smile & enjoy it!:)

8gig ram upgrade from OWC is $97.50.

- Nick

First I never thought there was a secret conspiracy. You are definitely reading something in that's not there. Just curious why a company would do so. But as you or someone pointed out, they are a hardware company first and software second. So I am just grateful.

About OWC, sure looks easy to install myself. Certainly no need to pay for installation! And their shipping to Canada is cheap! $2.99 Can't beat it. Usually U.S. companies like to charge us a lot more to ship so that is a bonus too! Gotta decide if I want to pull the plug now.

Thanks all for the helpful replies!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Only get your RAM from OWC or Crucial. It's DEAD easy to upgrade. I can link you to a video if you give me your exact specs and model numbers.

Any other RAM may or may not work right and will probably cost a lot more as you have seen.

I just ordered RAM for my iMac from OWC. They Guarantee it will work of they will make it right.

Mavericks is now free because really as was said above Apple is a Hardware company and they make enough from the hardware. Just enjoy your free OS! I sure am! :D Grin

Another note, OWC has videos on how to upgrade the RAM on all the metal iMacs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.