• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

IMovie to DVD

Reaction score
I am working on my first iMovie project. I completed the iMovie work, (Share > iDVD), created a disk image (File > save as disc image) and burned a DVD from the disc image. Unfortunately when I play it on our TV (16:9 aspect ratio) a significant part of the picture is lost both top/bottom and left/right. Most annoying the titles are chopped off. When I view either the original iMovie project or the disc image on the Mac all is normal. Evidently I missed something.

Suggestions please

Thank you, poppi

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
When you created the titles etc. did they all fall within the "TV safe" boundaries for widescreen format. See the post by SDMacuser here to check that.

Other possible fixes have been suggested such as the post by user Nolesrock here Been a while since I used iDVD so there may be other fixes I have forgotten.

OP
P
Reaction score
iMovie to DVD

When you created the titles etc. did they all fall within the "TV safe" boundaries for widescreen format. See the post by SDMacuser here to check that.

Other possible fixes have been suggested such as the post by user Nolesrock here Been a while since I used iDVD so there may be other fixes I have forgotten.

Neither of these answers my problem. I am confused by the need to go from iMovie to iDVD to burn a DVD. I spent countless hours importing and editing video and photos, adding and editing transitions and titles and ended with a perfect movie when viewed on the Mac in iMovie and again ias a disc image. This is probably a dumb question but why can't I burn a DVD directly from iMovie?

I get terribly confused by the apparent necessity to reconfigure everything in iDVD.

Thank you

poppi

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you were using the computer to playback your movie through the TV playing the movie file or disc image would work well most of the time. Unfortunately, burning a DVD for playback in a standard DVD player requires having certain files in specific locations on the disc and in a specific format. iMovie cannot create the necessary files. Skip the next paragraph if you don't care what those files are and their purpose.

A basic DVD will contain three types of files: IFO, BUP, and VOB. IFO files contain information that the player needs to understand the disc’s structure (total running time, number of chapters, etc.) BUP files are essentially backups of the information contained in the IFO files. The VOB contain the actual video files in MPEG-2 format.

Although there are other programs available that will properly burn such discs such as Toast or Burn, the menus are not as nice as those created by iDVD.

OP
P
Reaction score
iMovie to DVD - Mystery solved

Well not exactly solved but resolved. I don't know what inspired me to try the following but it worked. My TV is one of those ultra modern smarter than me appliances (which I detest). I t is also a DVD player and has 3 aspect ratio settings - standard, fill, and over fill. I tried playing with those to no avail but I also have a much older VCR/DVD player which is "DUMB". We only held on to that so we could play some of our ancient VCR movies. As a last resort I popped the DVD into that machine and it played perfectly on the "SMART" TV. So, while I don't understand the why I have solved my problem and will play my movies through the older machine.

Thanx to all for your help

poppi

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad you got that resolved. I have a TV with a similar setting and it had caused similar behavior from time to time. I can never figure out the right setting. It's also really inconsistent about which things get messed up. Should have thought to mention that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2015 13"MBA 2.2GHz i7, 8GB RAM, OS X 10.11.6
Yep. Had the same problem. Popped my newly made DVD into our player (as I always do) to make sure it would play and some of the picture was being cut off. played with the TV's aspect settings and voila - problem solved. And my TV is one of those old CRT things...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.