iTunes - cannot 'add' to my library?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Today, iTunes (11.1.3) refuses to let me 'add' a recording which I just downloaded from Classics Online - placed into their subfolder (have accumulated nearly 20 over the years) in my 'Music' folder - bought another CD (all MP3 files) from them a few weeks ago and imported into iTunes then burned to a CD-R - nothing really has changed on my MBPro in that interval.

My routine is to add these DL MP3 recordings to the iTunes library, and then make a playlist which I burn to a CD-R - whether I use the file menu option or try to 'drag & drop' the new recordings are not added; tried to even add some already imported ones w/o success. I 'Force Closed' the program & rebooted the computer (and signed out & in to the store) - none of the maneuvers helped.

Now I was able to 'burn' the 2 folders (2 discs DL) just using Finder and the CD-R played fine on my stereo - so files are OK. Other than re-installing iTunes, any other suggestions from users of this oft finicky Apple program? Thanks - Dave :)

Reaction score
How exactly are you adding them? Drag and drop into the window?

OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How exactly are you adding them? Drag and drop into the window?

Hi Craig - just what I've been doing for a number of years (first on my Dell laptop & now on the MBPro) - the routine shown in the pic is to simply open 'File' then pick 'Add to Library' - the music folder opens which allows selection of the files/folders to place into the iTunes library - has worked fine in the past - now not behaving in the same way? On searching the web, this has been a complaint but w/o a good solution? Thanks for responding - Dave :)

P.S. tried 'drag & drop' several ways w/o success - :(

Screen Shot 2013-12-15 at 8.13.05 PM.png

Reaction score
Guess I cant be much help, I just tried it and it worked. Your files don't have some kind of DRM do they?

OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Guess I cant be much help, I just tried it and it worked. Your files don't have some kind of DRM do they?

Thanks again - well, that method has worked fine for me up until the other day; no DRM concerns w/ Classics Online nor w/ Amazon (the 2 places that I usually obtain my MP3 music).

At this point since I now rarely buy or rip music, I'll just wait for the next iTunes update and/or will reinstall the program - but I can still burn CD-Rs w/o a problem, so not that much of a deal for me. Dave :)

OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thought that I would just add my experiences about this issue since my last post - the problem, i.e. importing my music into the iTunes library has still not been resolved, but these are some new observations:

1. In searching the web, there are many complaints of this problem happening to others (and in various versions of iTunes) - few positive solutions (if any) could be found.

2. Upgrading to Mavericks 10.9.1 did not help - will likely await the next iTunes update and if not corrective, then consider a re-install - fortunately the need for this to function is minor - I can still 'burn' my MP3 files to CD-Rs.

3. Also, I can make a 'Playlist' in iTunes and drag my MP3 folders there - the playlist can be burned to an optical disc; I can also transfer my music w/ this playlist to my iPod Touch.

So, I've found plenty of viable 'work arounds' - but wanted to update this thread in case others w/ a similar issue 'chimes in' here - Dave :)

Reaction score
Can you import ANY music no matter what source? If not, have you checked permissions on the Music folder and folders in that? Specifically, ~/Music/ITunes/ITunes Media/Music

OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can you import ANY music no matter what source? If not, have you checked permissions on the Music folder and folders in that? Specifically, ~/Music/ITunes/ITunes Media/Music

Hi again Craig - thanks for your interest - as described in my other post, I was able to make a 'Playlist' and then drag those 2 folders into iTunes - now the music is in the Music Folder of the app - I'm assuming that it was placed there after I did the 'drag & drop' - the only way I can determine that is to order another MP3 recording online - I'll give it a try later.

Now, I just opened iTunes and ripped a CD - as usual, it was imported into the iTunes library - I just had to add the cover art (which has also been my routine in the past).

SO, let me work on this further (may have just had a 'brain F&*T') - thanks, Dave :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.