Erase and reinstall

Reaction score
Having trouble with Adobe Elements crashing all the time, been told I need to make a new "Start up disk", as it's a Mac problem not Adobe. Looked into it and looks like a lot of agro ! Would it be easier to do a new "Erase and Reinstall" which I've done in the past? If I do I'm guessing this will cure the problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Do you have a link to the information where you've been told about the 'new start up disk'?

It's hard to say if a clean install would resolve you issues without knowing what the issues are specifically.

Which Mac is Elements installed on? How much RAM?
Which version of OSX?
Photoshop Elements or Premiere Elements? Which version?
Do you get an error message accompanying the crash?
Can you recreate it at will or does it happen randomly?
Is the Mac running otherwise OK?

C

chas_m

What a load of rubbish. If you're only having a problem with Adobe (something) Elements, then pretty clearly its NOT a "Mac problem," is it?

OP
glennpompier
Reaction score
Chas_m

Even at the Apple Store they have said it's a Mac problem.

OP
glennpompier
Reaction score
@ mrplow

I have 4GB of Ram on this iMac, using Adobe Photoshop Elements 11, no error message, Mac is running fine.

Here's what happens.... Open Elements, go to file open, as it opens crashes. Doesn't give me any options to do anything from menu after as everything is greyed out, can't even quit. I then need to go Force Quit to end use of application.
Spoke to Adobe online chat, they said try making another admin account and try using it there. Did this and worked fine for a few days, then that account had same problem. They gave me a link to sort it out, telling me to make a new start up disk etc. Looked way complicated.

Here's the link to their cure..

Troubleshoot unexpected behavior | User account-specific | Adobe software | Mac OS

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
That link mentions nothing about making a new start up disk, it recommends backing up your disk.

It does, however, tell you how to clean down all the preferences, cache and user files relating to the Adobe product itself.

At this point, with the information given you can't attribute blame either way. However, if you aren't seeing these kind of issues with other applications it's likely to be Elements.

I'd suggest working through the information given, step-by-step.

OP
glennpompier
Reaction score
The guy I was talking to in Chat advised me to make a new start up disk if making a new admin account didn't work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, that's why I asked for the link where it mentioned a new startup disk but the chat info is new. It helps us to help you if you can be as explicit as possible.

I'd seriously consider running through those instructions first.

However, if you'd rather do a clean install you'll need to tell us which version of OSX you have (as asked above) so that we can give you accurate information

OP
glennpompier
Reaction score
Ok , think I've fixed it. It was a Log in Items issue , done what the link suggested and appears to be working now. Many thanks for the taking the time to try and help :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.