Soundsticks 3 malfunction

Reaction score
I just bought a arman Kardon Soundsticks III system, but they suddendly turn the volume up or mute alone! I placed the subwoofer under the bed and the satellites on my desk, but this is very annoying. Besides, when I lace my hand near to the subwoofer, volume turns up ! Is it static or what could it be?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
The volume control is capacitance controlled but you usually have to touch it , never heard of it going up just getting near it may want to try taking it back or try a different placement.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Those Arman Kardon Soundsticks III look nice and some great review, its not the 17th, so i could still order some to get here for a early Xmas Pressie :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I almost bought a set myself last month Brent. They were on sale at our local military Navy Exchange store in Fort Worth. My wife was with me at the time and she had a different opinion... (You know how that goes... :p )

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Yes i do know exactly what you mean, but i got a bonus from DVA just last week, so i reckon she would let me have them, than buy a new 15" Retina or iMac 27" haha

I look at them, but not being a Audiophile, i have no idea of what the cords are coming out the back of the main unit, so no idea on if I could hook up the tv or what ?? Without touching them, and I'm 3 hrs away from the closest Apple Store :(
But still they look awesome and would go well with my set up

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I've had the HK Soundsticks II for a few years and I can very highly recommend them. They are one of the best 2.1 speaker sets you can get. I'm sure the newer version is every bit as good.

TattooedMac... the connector is a standard 3.5mm stereo jack. Your TV probably has RCA ports for audio out. In that case, you'd just need an adapter. I should mention that these speakers aren't really ideal for use in a living room. They are outstanding computer speakers, but with the viewing/listening distance in a typical living room setup, they probably won't cut it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ITattooedMac... the connector is a standard 3.5mm stereo jack. Your TV probably has RCA ports for audio out. In that case, you'd just need an adapter. I should mention that these speakers aren't really ideal for use in a living room. They are outstanding computer speakers, but with the viewing/listening distance in a typical living room setup, they probably won't cut it.

Mate thanks for that info. In my TV area, I'm about 3 ½ mtrs {7-8'} so i think the sound will be ok (Me and the missus sit in the top living area, close to kitchen with the wood fire place and kids are down in the bottom rumpus area)
As you know i have the 47" LG TV and the sound is great coming out of it, but because the area i need it in, is too small for a full on sound system and the 5.1 old Logitech i have there, i only use for music from a Airport Express, there are 1 Billion wires everywhere and i want to clean it up. You can't see them as i am good at hiding them, BUT i know there is still a mess. Funnily enough, i saw in the latest episode of The Big Bang Theory, the camouflaged iMac (new skinny one) had a set of these speakers there with the main round part on a box below the table . . If it good enough for Sheldon and Leonard, then good enough for me lol

xBjSC95.jpg

LtUpUna.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Mate thanks for that info. In my TV area, I'm about 3 ½ mtrs {7-8'} so i think the sound will be ok (Me and the missus sit in the top living area, close to kitchen with the wood fire place and kids are down in the bottom rumpus area)
As you know i have the 47" LG TV and the sound is great coming out of it, but because the area i need it in, is too small for a full on sound system and the 5.1 old Logitech i have there, i only use for music from a Airport Express, there are 1 Billion wires everywhere and i want to clean it up. You can't see them as i am good at hiding them, BUT i know there is still a mess. Funnily enough, i saw in the latest episode of The Big Bang Theory, the camouflaged iMac (new skinny one) had a set of these speakers there with the main round part on a box below the table . . If it good enough for Sheldon and Leonard, then good enough for me lol

Yes, but they are using those with a computer, not a TV. The problem you'll be facing is that speakers of that size won't do a great job of "throwing" the sound out that far. The speaker drivers are at least half the size of even a low end TV's speaker would be. They're an inch in diameter each while you are looking at a minimum of 2" (best guess) even on the built-in speakers of a TV set. Of course if you try it and like it, so much the better. I'm admittedly a bit fussier than many, though far from an audiophile.

If I may suggest... have you considered something like a sound bar? It's a strip of speakers that sit under the TV. They come in a variety of sizes and prices, but I'd wager you'll get a much more satisfying sound from those... assuming of course this is an option that will fit your space requirements.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.