• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Latest update ditched iDVD?!? Please assist

Reaction score
Ok so I was enjoying the iOS updates UNTILL now! I was going to look through iDVD at the themes for an upcoming project and guess what?! It's GONE! Apparently removed after my last os update. What can I do? I like iDVD, a lot... I use the themes, I like its simplicity, I just plain like it. What can I do? I read about wondershare. Seems alright. Any of you have experience with it? I read I. Can buy iLife and re install idid, BUT will it just delete itself when My comp runs an update again? Please advise!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not sure I understand.... iDVD was not removed by either Lion, Mountain Lion, nor the new Mavericks. If you had it on your machine before, it should still be there. My iDVD still remains and works after all those OS updates mentioned above.

OP
M
Reaction score
Not sure I understand.... iDVD was not removed by either Lion, Mountain Lion, nor the new Mavericks. If you had it on your machine before, it should still be there. My iDVD still remains and works after all those OS updates mentioned above.

Sorry, I bought a new imac, didnt look for it as I assumed it was there, turns out it may have never been? I read new ones dont come with it and the new ios isnt compatible with it (as per an employee at our local apple authorized retailer) .

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
The new Macs do not come with iDVD though don't remember exactly when it was dropped. I think it was about the time Apple stopped shipping gear with built-in DVD drives.

If you have the last version of iDVD on disc somewhere it should work. I just launched it under Mavericks and saved a new project as widescreen. I have not tested beyond that point because I have another cpu intensive task going at the moment.

Personally I have not missed iDVD a lot as it was always a little "twitchy" for me. Partly because most of my projects were near its time limit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
You can always use Burn in Disk Utility.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes and No. If the4 video is to be played on a standard DVD player the files must be in a specific format before burning. AFAIK that part of the setup cannot be done from with the option from Disk Utility.

Perhaps you were thinking of this Burn which should do the trick. Not sure how the menu options compare to iDVD. Toast can also create these DVDs but IMHO the menu options are not nearly as nice as iDVD.

C

chas_m

You will never find another program that offers the menu options iDVD did. Apple dropped the program for a variety of reasons but primarily because very few people burn DVDs anymore (and even with iDVD the process was time-consuming, labourious and often frustrating).

Roxio's Toast offers some menu options, Burn builds a basic menu, and as mentioned you can still obtain iDVD off someone's old iLife disk or your own backups and keep using it for now.

OP
M
Reaction score
I still have my other iMac with it on there, can I move it to my new iMac somehow? Thanks again!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think I re-installed it from an older backup. It's worth a try if you can't find the discs. I think when I restored the program I did the following:

1. Copy the iDVD application from the Application folder on the older computer to the Applications folder on the newer computer.
2. You may have installed some additional themes on your other installation. If so, on the older computer go to ~/Library/Application Support/iDVD. This is the Library folder inside your user folder.
3. Copy that folder to the same location on the newer Mac. Remember that you will have to unhide the Library folder if you are using OS X 10.7 or higher.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.