Onyx - removal & install of Mavericks version?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hello All - put the Mtn Lion version of Onyx on my MBPro a few months ago and never got through the tutorial - now w/ Mavericks installed, a new OS-specific version 2.8.1 is available HERE w/ a beta offering, which I'll not want to try.

First, from the information below (Apple Support Communities) - removing the Mtn Lion version is simply an icon drag to the trash & deletion of a few orphaned files - on my HD, I can only find the 'com.titanium.OnyX.plist' - any other concerns?

Second, for those who have been using Onyx for Mavericks, are there any issues/bugs/etc. that one should be concerned about? Thanks for any comments - Dave :)

You are correct in that Onyx is version specific.

The additional orthaned files you need to find and remove if you have just dragged to trash are at: ~/Library/Preferences

com.titanium.OnyX.plist
com.titanium.OnyX.plist.lockfile

plus: ~/Library/Cashes

com.titanium.Onyx

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I Mac 27-inch 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5 24GB ram. MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.5GHz dual-core Intel i5 16GB ram
I use AppCleaner. It does a good job of finding files that just dragging apps to the trash leaves behind.
I have used the Mavericks version of Onyx on two machines without problems.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@Dave:

Go back to their website and download the OnyX uninstaller app. You can't remove OnyX completely with AppCleaner.

Also, the new version, 2.8.1 works great with Mavericks. Give it a try.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I Mac 27-inch 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5 24GB ram. MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.5GHz dual-core Intel i5 16GB ram
@Dave:

Go back to their website and download the OnyX uninstaller app. You can't remove OnyX completely with AppCleaner.

Once again I've learned something new.
Thanks chscag

OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@Dave:

Also, the new version, 2.8.1 works great with Mavericks. Give it a try.

Thanks Chscag - I'll return to the Titanium website and take a look - got the Mavericks version in my DLs, so just need to get the other removed. Dave :)

OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Chscag - I'll return to the Titanium website and take a look - got the Mavericks version in my DLs, so just need to get the other removed. Dave :)

Well, I visited the Titanium Website and could not find a specific app to remove my old Mtn Lion version on my Mavericks computer (and doubt that a DL of the DMG file for Mtn Lion would have helped)? So what to do?

I joined the forum and left a post - received an almost immediate response (will donate soon) - attached is from the 'Administrator' - answer simply to drag the old icon to trash - did so, and installed the 'Mavericks' version which seem to work fine.

Just my experience and hope that others are helped by this experience - Dave :)

Screen Shot 2013-12-14 at 10.34.08 PM.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's good news Dave. I guess the newer version(s) of OnyX no longer need the uninstaller. I still have a copy of their uninstaller in my Applications folder. Good to know it's no longer needed.

OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's good news Dave. I guess the newer version(s) of OnyX no longer need the uninstaller. I still have a copy of their uninstaller in my Applications folder. Good to know it's no longer needed.

Well, seemed simple enough to me and had read a number of earlier posts in the forum and the recommendations were about the same, so must not be much 'extra' files (if any except for the plist ones) stored - LOVE those kinds of programs - reminds me of the old DOS days before the registry, i.e. just delete the folder! HAPPY.

I sent them 10 Euros as a contribution - BTW, they have several other apps - Maintenance & Deeper - are these worth exploring? Thanks again - Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I like the Mavericks OnyX having the ability to reset the ACL's of my Startup drive. Not sure if its been in other versions, but i needed to reset my Permissions and OnyX came through for me, after telling me the Drive needed Repairing. Im thinking of ditching MainMenu that i have been using for the last 4 yrs and move on to OnyX now . . . MainMenu has become too commercial and HATE the UI and UX now :((

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Maintenance & Deeper are scaled down versions of the two different feature sets of Onyx.

Ex. Maintenance only offers what is the 'Automation' tab in Onyx.

Hence our recommendation here for Onyx.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.