Excel "Document not saved" message

Reaction score
Is there a solution to this problem yet. At the moment this message comes up at apparently random times and the only solution is to move/copy the sheet to a new workbook and save it as a different name. This is very frustrating and happens on the most uncomplicated single sheet workbooks as well as complex multi sheer books Thanks

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Where are you trying to save the document? Does it just randomly appear or only when you try to save it? What version of Office are you using?

M

MacInWin

Back in July you had the same problem. Have you checked with Microsoft about the problem?

OP
M
Reaction score
It is the Office suite supplied with the iMac. I believe it is 2011. I work on the sheet, click the save button in the normal way, for a few saves it works OK and then without any reason a panel comes up "Document not saved", no explanation as to why. Even when I use "save as" in the file drop down it still comes back with the same message. I have split an 8 sheet workbook into separate sheets to see if that solves the problem but sadly it doesn't. Thank you for your interest.

OP
M
Reaction score
I have tried Microsoft excel help forums with no success. I would not know how to check with Microsoft directly. If you can advise, please do.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Where are you trying to save the document to? Do you have the most up-to-date version (Help > Check for Updates)?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Nice find Jake, but why does Microsoft make things so complicated? In my humble opinion, the average Office user is going to be overwhelmed by that fix.

M

MacInWin

Yeah, that was my thought as well, but maybe the OP can print that off and let some savvy user help execute the steps. Seems to me MS would be more "user friendly" to simply write an automated script to do that for users. But hey, it's Redmond, not Cupertino.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.