MacBook and Rosetta

H

Habitualmusic

Im switching from pc to mac and I gotta say i cant wait :) Ive done alot of research and Im still kind of confused on this rosetta business. So everything thats set up for MAC OS X Tiger will run on the intel macs Via rosetta correct....i.e. adobe illustrator cubase War craft 3? are there going to be problems when programs are running through rosetta? and finally can I mess up my new powerbook by trying to install programs that are not universal but will run through rosetta?

any help would be great

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
it will run most things through rosetta. it will not run pro apps and games will lag alot so not worth it..

you can not destroy the macbook by installing programs on it that will run through rosetta.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Habitualmusic said:
Im switching from pc to mac and I gotta say i cant wait :) Ive done alot of research and Im still kind of confused on this rosetta business. So everything thats set up for MAC OS X Tiger will run on the intel macs Via rosetta correct....i.e. adobe illustrator cubase War craft 3? are there going to be problems when programs are running through rosetta? and finally can I mess up my new powerbook by trying to install programs that are not universal but will run through rosetta?

any help would be great
The vast majority of everyday-use apps that you will most likely actually use are Universal to be perfectly honest. This includes all the Apple apps and Adium, which are basically what I have in my Dock besides MS Office. More specialized apps and MS Office are not Universal yet, but unless it's a really intensive pro app like Photoshop or Adobe Illustrator it should run well enough for your needs until they go universal. And even in the Adobe case, the performance is fine for CASUAL use. Otherwise, you're best off with a PowerBook or waiting a year.

As for games, they rely far more on the GPU than anything else nowadays, and the X1600 completely destroys what's inside the PowerBooks, and almost every laptop out there now for that matter. Furthermore, Warcraft 3 isn't exactly very intensive (the fact it can be run at full specs on my laptop with no slowdown is proof enough of that). And the newer games that come out will be universal or have patches to make them that way. In fact, WoW is already native and it sings on Intel macs. And no, Rosetta will NOT mess up your MacBook Pro.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.