Time Machine Heats Up MBPro!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Well, today I was trying to learn a little more about Time Machine (TM) and wanted to just restore a few files - connected my external HDD (1 TB Seagate) which I've been using since March of this year; OS now Mavericks (don't believe this was an issue when on Mtn Lion?).

While in TM, the laptop became hot (temp went above 160F - jumped at least 50 degrees quickly) - exited TM and temp returned to about 100F quickly; detached the Seagate HDD and again ran TM (had BUs on the laptop) - temp went up to 150F w/i minutes, so seemed to behave similarly.

So, has anyone else had this experience? Is this a Mavericks issue? What are some of the logs that I can review that might help? Any advice on how to resolve this issue? Thanks.

Dave :)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
What makes you believe it's an issue?

OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What makes you believe it's an issue?

Hi Bob... - LOL! :D

Well, the laptop was sitting on my lap and I thought that my crotch was going to spontaneously combust - YIKES! ;D

Maybe I did not use TM under Mtn Lion enough to have noticed the 'heat' increase - but from your implication, this may be normal behavior? If so, I'll believe it - you guys are the EXPERTS! Dave :)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I was heavy into over clocking in a previous life. Tracking all the temps went along with the territory. This habit, like so many other habits were carried over from that other OS. It took me a couple years to get beyond most of them and learn to just use a computer.

It's been at least 5 years now since I've looked at the temp on one of my Macs.
Sitting here doing nothing it's cool.
Start using it, it goes from cool to warm and sometimes even to hot.
As long as It keeps on working - doing what I ask it to do - then there is no issue.
70C really is nothing for these notebooks.
Welcome to the world of primarily just using your computer for what it was meant to be used.

OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Start using it, it goes from cool to warm and sometimes even to hot.
As long as It keeps on working - doing what I ask it to do - then there is no issue.
70C really is nothing for these notebooks.
Welcome to the world of primarily just using your computer for what it was meant to be used.

Thanks Bob..... - now 70C is 158F, so that's what the computer hit, but still HOT on my lap, BUT I must say that w/ my old Dell laptops, I needed a pad between my lap and the computer, so assume that those oldies went to even higher temps.

Just not sure why w/ TM opened and not really doing much upped the temp by 50F so quickly - the backup function seems to work fine and the computer is otherwise intact - thanks again for your great and experienced input - appreciate! Dave :)

M

MacInWin

TM, if you haven't used it recently, will start building a backup for you. That will involve CPU cycles and lots of reading the hard drive. All that equals heat.

OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
TM, if you haven't used it recently, will start building a backup for you. That will involve CPU cycles and lots of reading the hard drive. All that equals heat.

Hi Jake - I had already done the BU and was just trying to learn more about the program - maybe it was into the hourly backup to my laptop - just was surprising for the temp to jump by 40+ degrees (F) - probably all is fine. Thanks for the comments - Dave :)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Start gaming with something that really puts the GPU/CPU to work while also reading large files from the drive - for a few hours at a time.

You'll either get a laptop stand or you'll live with semi-permanent red marks on the top of your legs. When using a Mac notebook on your lap, you need to be conscious of the fact that the heated air is pushed out through the hinge area. The case can also get warmer than the plastic cases of other notebooks - 'tis the nature of aluminum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
Like the guys stated. 70C is actually normal under load operating temps for your CPU as per Intel's data sheets. Keep in mind laptops due to their compact-ness tend to run warmer then desktops under load. That said, its always a good practice to clean your system. A dust free computer is a longer running computer. I clean all my systems every two months. My systems tend to run 10+ years or even longer. Heck I still got a Tandy 1000TL2 that boots up back at home. ;)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What he said - although, I've gotten lazy as I've gotten older and probably only open up my notebooks once a year to dust them out.
My first Mac, an '06 MBP is still going strong being used in my media center.
(And it's got countless hours on it running at 90-100C - talk about red legs ;) - Compared to getting my custom built gaming rigs churning away with a goal of 40-45C max.)

OP
RadDave
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks guys for all of your comments - this is my 5th laptop so quite familiar w/ HEAT from these machines - ;D

My last Dell was always hot & needed a pad - the MBPro is MUCH better and I rarely notice much heat to the point of being discomfortable, so was just a surprise when using TM.

The MBP is new and the side & hinge vents are clear - assume I really cannot open this early 2013 model? THANKS again for the reassurance - I'll just not worry about the heat. Dave :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The MBP is new and the side & hinge vents are clear - assume I really cannot open this early 2013 model? THANKS again for the reassurance - I'll just not worry about the heat. Dave

The newer model MacBook Pro machines do not lend themselves to being opened up. Have you ever seen this notice on an electronic device?

"No user serviceable parts inside, refer service to an authorized repair facility"

That's the trend at Apple and likely will be for all future products maybe with the exception of the very expensive Mac Pro.

In other words, Dave, don't mess with it. Use your Apple care. ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.