Worried that my Macbook Pro has a virus...

Reaction score
I have had my Macbook Pro since January and it has been fine until this week. I started noticing that the trackpad and keyboard was freezing yesterday.

There are other symptoms that have led me to believe I have a virus:
- Keyboard freezing at same time as trackpad
- Safari was flickering pixels at the sides yesterday
- Warning saying memory stick has been ejected incorrectly has come up a few times even when I haven't took my memory stick out!

From what I have told you - is there any risk I have a virus?

I am not going to lie, but I visit sites that most teenage boys would visit occasionally, but mainly on my iPad which has been fine since getting it in 2010. I have also downloaded some wallpapers recently from interfacelift, but that site was recommended on here so I doubt that's the issue. Oh, and I watch sports streams (using adblock) on vipboxonline - could this be the cause?

Thank you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
It's more likely a hardware issue than anything else. Something could be loose underneath the keyboard/trackpad. It is only 11 months old, so make a genius bar appointment.

OP
M
Reaction score
It's more likely a hardware issue than anything else. Something could be loose underneath the keyboard/trackpad. It is only 11 months old, so make a genius bar appointment.

Thanks for the suggestion :) Are they free appointments? Never been before.

Also. Paranoid teen question: Can they view my internet history? I have viewed sites of certain nature that could cause an embarrassing situation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Don't worry about the sites and if within the twelve month warranty will be free other than for any liquid spills which are not covered by warranty. Not much you would have done other teens have also over the years.

No viruses for Mac OS X. To combat other nasties just keep then operating system up to date as Apple takes care of that in Security Updates.

OP
M
Reaction score
Don't worry about the sites and if within the twelve month warranty will be free other than for any liquid spills which are not covered by warranty. Not much you would have done other teens have also over the years.

No viruses for Mac OS X. To combat other nasties just keep then operating system up to date as Apple takes care of that in Security Updates.

Ok, thanks :) Looks like it is a hardware problem then. It's been okay since posting this question and had been earlier but it always plays up in the evening. Could the length of time I have been using it affect it?

I also leave it plugged in on a charge a lot and drain it once a week :)

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
You might want to check out the 'private browsing' feature in Safari as well...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Ok, thanks :) Looks like it is a hardware problem then. It's been okay since posting this question and had been earlier but it always plays up in the evening. Could the length of time I have been using it affect it?

Yes. If there is, say, a chip poorly soldered onto the motherboard, the problem may only manifest when it reaches a certain temperature and the connection weakens due to thermal expansion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Thanks for the suggestion :) Are they free appointments? Never been before.

Yes, the appointments are free. Chances are, if any repairs are needed, they will be free also.

Successfully resisting the temptation for other comments, including a really bad play on words...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.