Changing user Pwd not working

Reaction score
On a Mac running Snow Leopard I'm having trouble changing the password for a standard user account. The password is long forgotten and I've been attempting to change the password via my admin account.

First, trying to do so via the bootup disc doesn't work. After changing the password, I get the following message before it resets the password change form fields back to blank:

“The password you entered has been saved for the user (my user's name). Resetting a user’s password does not change the password for the user’s login keychain so it will not be unlocked automatically. Use Keychain Access to reset the password for the user’s login keychain.”

Trying to do so within the OS under the System Preferences doesn't work either. If I go to System Preferences-->Accounts, click on "Unlock", put in the Master Password, change the password fields for the user and then click "Reset Password", I get the following message:

“CSSM_ERRCODE_INVALID_CSP_HANDLE”

Any idea how I can override the problems to change the password and gain access to this account?

Thanks,

Jon

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
“The password you entered has been saved for the user (my user's name). Resetting a user’s password does not change the password for the user’s login keychain so it will not be unlocked automatically. Use Keychain Access to reset the password for the user’s login keychain.

Did you follow the above directions? Your Keychain Access application can be found in Applications, Utilities. You can't do it from System Preferences, Accounts.

OP
J
Reaction score
Can't Change User's Keychain

Hello & thanks for your reply. My understanding, perhaps, incorrect (?) was that I couldn't access nor change a user's keychain account. I went in under my admin account and did find that I could in Keychain go to "Keychain First Aid" to Verify/Repair a user's account. When I tried this with the user account that I can't access, I got the following error:

Error: login keychain not found
Unable to get info found for ~/Library/keychain/login.keychain, reason: THe operation couldn't be completed. No such file or directory.

Sounds to me like the user's keychain doesn't exist! Any thoughts on how I can reset the user's keychain or reset the user's password. Again, my goal is to access this account.

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your folder name description is wrong which is why..... see below:

Macintosh HD/Users/user name/Library/Keychains/login.keychain

Notice that it's "Keychains" not keychain. ;) Try again.

OP
J
Reaction score
Hi, thanks for responding. Actually turns out that since I typed in that address, I typed it in wrong. So, it is "Keychains" as you note. So, unfortunately problem still not resolved :(

Thanks again!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.