New Intel Mac Arrived - A Few Questions

M

MJGUK

Hello all,

My new 20" Intel iMac Core Duo arrived today and i am very very happy with it.

However I have a couple of questions, if any of you could possibly help me, please.

1) What clients are good for MSN on mac? I'd especially like one which can rename your contacts for you, so you can have your own names for them showing etc.

2) Does anyone does if the media plugins for Safari on Intel will be fixed soon? Atm you cannot run most media through your browser due to the plugins not being universal.

Many thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
1) I use adium, it works great, support for msn, and other im clients.. can change the alias..

2) I am not sure.

OP
M

MJGUK

PowerBookG4 said:
1) I use adium, it works great, support for msn, and other im clients.. can change the alias..

2) I am not sure.
Thanks very much for your advice there.

Adium is really great, in fact I'd say it is by far better than the Windows Microsoft MSN client.
The Alias support and such is great, I really like it.
Thanks for the tip!

I really hope they sort out these browser plugins out ASAP though, essentially it just means I cannot use any media plugins on websites....it's not tragic, but would be nice.
It also means I cannot have radio widgets yet because of the plugins they need too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G3 - You'll be missed.
I am sure they are working on the plug-ins, it just takes some time, the intel macs have not been out for very long, so some developers are still new to the new platform, especially open source developers and 3rd party developers that dont have dev kits, the updates should be out soon though.

OP
M

MJGUK

If possible, could anyone give me a list of a few 'Mac Essential' apps?
You know, like the apps that are very popular or 'essential'....
Is there anything I should have for system optimization etc?
I'd also be interested to know if any of you recommend a free/good iTunes controller app?

Cheers,

OP
M

MJGUK

Cheers for the tip bud.

I've got aMSN on my iBook actually, but I tried Adium on here.....and I really love it.

OP
I

init6

Why not just use the OSX MSN Messenger client written by Microsoft? Or are you talking about Microsoft's AOL-like online service?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
MJGUK said:
If possible, could anyone give me a list of a few 'Mac Essential' apps?
You know, like the apps that are very popular or 'essential'....
Is there anything I should have for system optimization etc?
I'd also be interested to know if any of you recommend a free/good iTunes controller app?

Cheers,
Shamelessly copied from my post in another thread on this same forum:

That said, here are some applications that are essential:

-Adium (http://www.adiumx.com) is the best instant messaging application I have ever used. It is very changeable and supports a ridiculous number of instant messaging clients. And it's freeware based on libGaim.

-VLC (http://www.videolan.org) is a free media player that plays every file type out there except the Real Player files (download Real Player if you must as well) and the WMV files specifically encoded with the WMV3 codec. It plays DVDs also, by the way. Anyway, for those pesky WMVs...

-Flip4mac (http://www.flip4mac.com) is a set of Quicktime components that enables WMV playback in Quicktime Player. It's nifty, and since Microsoft stopped supporting Windows media Player 9 for mac, they generously paid off the Flip4mac team to offer it for free.

-Stuffit Expander (http://www.stuffit.com) will be essential if you want to uncompress anything, and pretty much every app you download will be in a disk image in a compressed file. make sure you get just Stuffit Expander, the free one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.