MacPro Questions

Reaction score
I am a former Mac-user, forced over to Windows about 12 years ago, & I am now considering buying a new MacPro; I am an American, living in Europe, & will buy the machine in the U.S. I have multiple questions:
1. Can the region coding on the DVD player be removed; i.e. can I play DVDs from both the U.S. & Europe without restriction(s)? (My Sony Vaio limits me to 5 playings of European DVDs.)
2. Will the Mac TV function work with PAL/SECAM TV sets, or is it for NTSC only? Do you need active WiFi to use it, or will it work in a house where there is no WiFi?
3. If I load my Windows Quicken, Office, Palm, & VHS-DVD software on the MacPro, will it run seamlessly with Parallels?
4. Does Apple really mean it when they say the extended warranty is "global?"
5. What have I forgotten to ask?
Merci! jpc

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
1. Not likely - no computer I'm aware of ships with a region free DVD player... And the new Mac Pro doesn't even have a CD/DVD player - so no... Use VLC (probably the same software you're using in Windows) or any other DVD playback software that doesn't recognize region encoding.

2.Not sure what you mean by "TV function". WiFi would have nothing to do with a wired video output connection. And while the new MacPro isn't shipping as of yet - am pretty sure you'll be able to switch between PAL and NTSC output.

3. Seamlessly? Quicken and office will run without a problem - have no clue about the other and none of us have any clue what VHS-DVD software you might be using. For specific 3rd party software that is out of the main stream you would probably be better off asking at the Parallels forum,

4. You might ask your real question here. Such as, if I live in ... will I be able to get service...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I am a former Mac-user, forced over to Windows about 12 years ago, & I am now considering buying a new MacPro...

Are you interested in purchasing a "Mac Pro" (which is a desktop computer)...or a "MacBook Pro" (which is a laptop/notebook computer)?

Since this thread has been posted in the "Apple Notebooks" area...I can only assume you are looking for a "MacBook Pro" (laptop)...not a "Mac Pro" (desktop) as the thread title and the posting mention. This is a big difference.

5. What have I forgotten to ask?

Sorry...mind-reading costs extra!;)

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Ah, no fun; can't even get free 'mind-reading.'

Yeah; you're right; I will be buying the laptop. My mistake on the nomenclature.

Thanx for your input!

jpc

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah; you're right; I will be buying the laptop.

Regarding the DVD questions. To the best of my knowledge...no current "new" Apple laptop has an internal optical drive (DVD drive). So if you need an optical drive...you will need to purchase an external optical drive.

Unless of course you are thinking of purchasing an older MacBook Pro model...that still had an integrated optical drive (but I think that you mentioned "new" in your original post).

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Yeah; thanx; I received the same info from Mr. Tomay. But he mentioned that the new MacBook Pro hasn't yet been released. The only one for sale on the Apple store web site has the internal DVD drive, which I want. Configure - Apple Store (U.S.)
Because of delivery logistics, I can't wait for the new release anyway.

BTW, do you know:
1. How the Mac TV box communicates with the Mac or the IPad? Bluetooth?
2. Also, does the Mac TV box have a 100-240V input, or is 120V only?
3. Does it work with PAL/SECAM sets? Is it interchangeable with multiple TV sets (I have 4 houses around Europe where I would like to use it).

Merci, encore!

jpc

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Need to get on the same page here - I noted the "Mac Pro" which was the title of your thread. Didn't notice what section it was in.

A "Mac Pro" (a desktop computer) is not the same thing as a "MacBook Pro" (a notebook computer).
The new "Mac Pro" is not being sold as of this moment but is due out later this month.

There are currently 5 models of the "MacBook Pro" for sale on the Apple site - not that one only.
Four of the five models being sold do not have an optical drive.

In any case - I still am aware of no computers that are sold with a region free DVD drive by any manufacturer.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But he mentioned that the new MacBook Pro hasn't yet been released.

Any "new" MacBook Pro is very unlikely to have an internal optical drive. Now that Apple has removed them...it's highly unlikely that they will put one back in.

The only one for sale on the Apple store web site has the internal DVD drive, which I want. Configure - Apple Store (U.S.)

Yes...that model does have an internal optical drive. It is basically an older model laptop from "Mid-2012". Which is like 2 generations older than the other non-retina 13" MacBook Pro's. There has been an "Early 2013" and a "Late 2013" release of 13" MacBook Pro's.

You may want to check the Apple Refurbished area. Sometimes some older models will show up there (the inventory can change daily or hourly). Here's the best 13" MacBook Pro listed in the refurbished section currently with an internal optical drive:

Refurbished 13.3-inch MacBook Pro 2.9GHz Dual-core Intel i7 - Apple Store (U.S.)

- More ram
- faster cpu
- larger hard drive

...only $70 dollars more than the 13" MacBook Pro you linked. And all Apple refurbished products come with the same 12 months of Applecare...which can also be extended to 3 years with the purchase of extended Applecare.

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
You are correct, Sir. Mr. "Pigoo3" already pointed that out to me. I responded with "Yeah; you're right; I will be buying the laptop. My mistake on the nomenclature."

And, yes; I was aware of the 5 notebooks for sale on the Apple store. And I DO want one with an internal drive. Several of my houses in France & Switzerland are not equipped with WiFi, so I use a lot of DVDs--can't download movies from the 'Cloud' at those houses--so I will opt for the model with the built in optical drive. My pertinent questions refer to how I can view them on my European TVs, & if the Mac TV box is able to/can be used here in Europe.

I also just got another reply from "Nick" (Pigoo3) regarding refurbished machines; might be worth looking into.

Many thanks for ALL your replies. I need this kind of feedback/info.

jpc

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.