MacBook Pro won't boot past blue screen

Reaction score
Hi there! I'm looking for a mac wizard to kindly offer their expertise with something.

I have an old mid-2008 MBP that someone gave me after mine was stolen recently. I migrated over a time machine back up from an external, but now it won't boot past the blue screen. I found out that the reason for this is likely because I did not update the software on the MBP - it was running 10.6 and my back-up is newer - 10.7. I was told I need to wipe the MBP clean and install 10.7 on it. I have no idea how to do this when it won't boot, though. I am not able to take it to an apple store, and I can't afford to hire someone right now, so I'm hoping someone might be able to help! It won't boot in recovery mode, but it does boot in safe mode. I don't understand the difference between them though!

I greatly appreciate any help you all may have,

Thank you!!

OP
H
Reaction score
also

Right now I have it booted in safe mode. But when I try to log in, it accepts the password, and then goes right back to the login screen with the different accounts. So it won't actually log in. Also for one of the accounts I migrated over, when I try to log in it does not accept the password, which I know is correct. So although it is booted in safe mode, I can't log in. And it won't boot in recovery mode.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums!

You were told correct information about having to wipe the drive clean but in order to do that you will need a disk. Since someone gave you the MacBook Pro, I'm assuming that they didn't give you the original disk set that came with it. It's best to order a Snow Leopard DVD disk direct from Apple and boot the machine with it.

Snow Leopard = $19.99

The disk above will allow you to erase the hard drive, install Snow Leopard, update to 10.6.8 and then update to Lion (10.7.X). Once you have Lion installed on the MacBook Pro, you can use the Time Machine backup to recover your data.

Don't worry about safe mode and recovery mode. For now, neither one is going to work for you.

OP
H
Reaction score
Thank you so much for replying! Just before you replied a friend instructed me to do the same thing, and luckily, I had a Mountain Lion install disk! I erased and reinstalled, and am now updating to 10.6.8. How do I update to Lion? Through the APP store? Or does "software update" give me the option?

Also, my friend thought it is possible that my MBP would not upgrade to 10.7, that it could be one that is 32 bit. Do you know how I might find this out?

Thank you!!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If you have the ML install disk, which is 10.8 - just install that - the installer will ask if you want to restore from a TM backup - do it then.

Can't update to 10.6.8 from 10.8.

An '08 MBP meets the minimum for 10.8.
Although, you may want to add more RAM depending on how much you have in it.
If it was running fine with Lion (10.7), it should run as well with 10.8.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I think she means she used a Leopard install disk which would be correct since Leopard came with that year model MacBook Pro. There are no Mountain Lion install disks unless she or someone specifically made one from the Mountain Lion installer. :)

OP
H
Reaction score
Yes! I had a Snow Leopard install disk. SO am I stuck in 10.6.8 unless I upgrade to Maverick? If I upgrade to Maverick will I be able to migrate over my 10.7 back-up? Or am I limited to dragging and dropping folders?

Great thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you upgrade to Mavericks (which is free) your Time Machine backup should work to restore your data. Once Mavericks is installed, open the Migration Assistant application which is located in your Applications, Utilities, folder. The Migration Assistant wizard will ask you how you wish to migrate your data and offer Time Machine as a choice. Attach your Time Machine drive and select Time Machine and then press continue. It may take awhile depending on how much data you have to restore.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.