Mavericks Installer Not Working

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I just got a new hard drive (after my factory HD died a few days ago), so I decided to start it out with the new operating system!

I logged into the apple store and began my download. But the download bogged my system down so much (I was running an MMORPG at the same time) that the whole system froze, and I was forced to do a hard-reboot.

When the system came back up, as I suspected, the Mavericks download had paused. So, no problem, I logged back into the app-store and resumed the download...

I worked for about two hours trying to get the download to resume, but to no avail. I went to the "purchases" tab and X'ed it out and tried to start over, but no matter how many times I push "Install App" (or rebooted my computer) it will not re-install or resume. And the download is not appearing in Launchpad at all since the hard-reboot.

To add to this, there is NO download progress bar - so that I can tell IF it's even downloading, and if it is, I can't see how much has downloaded and how much is left. I find this very foolish on Apple's part that professional developers overlooked such a basic primary function/feature, allowing a person to be able to see if their software is downloading.

At this moment I am downloading Mavericks as a torrent. I don't believe it is the most recent version (10.9.0), but at least I can see that it is downloading, which I can not say about Apple's download system.

I did some research and found that the issues I'm having are common. There are already a few web pages dedicated to solving the issues I'm having—Though none of their suggestions are working to resolve the matter for me.

(My mac is a 2011 Macbook-Pro, maxed out with 2.3GHz i7, 8GB RAM, OSX Lion 10.5.7, and a new Seagate Momentus XT 750 GB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 32 MB Cache Solid State Hybrid Drive.)

I've heard a lot of good things about this new OS; but the fact that Apple can't even make their download program work doesn't give me much confidence in their much more complex operating system.

M

MacInWin

I would NOT trust any torrent download. Ever.

Have you called Apple tech support?

If you are near an Apple store, your best path is to take the system to the store and have them install Mavericks for you.

OP
Lo'Tek
Reaction score
Thank you for replying and offering some suggestions.

The only time I ever dealt personally with Mac was just after buying my first Mac in 2008. The screen had cracked, which was likely due to a manufacture flaw (in fact the screen on this mac shipped with a small scratch), and because the initial 30 day warranty had just run out, I had to play stupid for over an hour, being shifted from rep to rep, until someone higher up got tired of me and waved the fact that I hadn't paid $300+ for an Apple-Care Plan after spending over $3000.00 on a computer and mac products... WHERE'S THE THANKS! :p I eventually got my screen replaced by them, but only because I stuck to my guns and played stupid regarding their apple-care (and it helps that an associate who works for Apple told me some secret key-words to say, no joke).

So trying to contact Mac directly is the farthest thing from my mind. I love their computers. But frankly, their customer service, without an expensive payment plan, sucks!

I would take my mac to a local store—there is a store nearby that I've used in the past, and I know the people a little by now, but that's not in my budget. My mouse went on the same day my HD went, and I just bought that Seagate and a new Razer Naga. I'm tech-savy just enough to fix and build my own computers, and I really shouldn't NEED to take my computer to an expert because Apple's download software is broken.

Believe me I didn't want to resort to a torrent; but Apple left me with no option. I will attempt one last time to get Mavericks to download through their site. But if that fails, my Mavericks dmg torrent just finished downloading.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Wait... you think the Mavericks torrent isn't the latest version of Mavericks? There's only ONE version. They have yet to release any "service packs" for it... just a handful of minor updates. Are you sure you didn't download a beta version? Installing that would be foolish. It may not even install, assuming the beta has expired. Or it will just stop working when it does.

No one else here has had issues downloading the installer from the App Store. I also think it's interesting that you are having this problem after adding a new hard drive. Something is amiss here. Did you recover from a backup? Install fresh? You may need to do some basic housekeeping with Onyx. It may even just be something with your ISP. One thing I'm certain of... it is far from clear that Apple is at fault here.

OP
Lo'Tek
Reaction score
Wait... you think the Mavericks torrent isn't the latest version of Mavericks?

I read several articles about making bootable copies of Maverics, and one said that they have already changed a few minor things since the release. So technically I could have an "old" copy. Not enough to matter really, but not the most recent download.

Are you sure you didn't download a beta version? Installing that would be foolish. It may not even install, assuming the beta has expired. Or it will just stop working when it does.

I am prepared for that. I have a backup ready in case what I got is the beta. But my limited experience with torrents is that, though admittedly people who upload them are not honest in the way of giving money to corporate companies, they are not for the most part "out to get you!" or give you a virus, or screw you over in some way. It's a give and take community.

No one else here has had issues downloading the installer from the App Store.

"No one else"...

I'm sorry but I have to stop you right there! As I have already stated, when I researched my particular problem, I ran across a few articles specifically laying out the very issues I'm experiencing. These articles are from professionals who are hearing a lot of these issues from a lot of people, and know a little more beyond the scope of this little micro universe of MacForums (bless your little hearts :) ). In fact I just did a search and found an article right on THIS site from someone having download issues with Mavericks. So please don't attempt to make me look childish and undereducated like I didn't do a fair amount of research before posting this here. For that matter, I posted in the event that someone smarter than myself in these things might give me a pointer, or tell me what others with the same problem did to resolve it. I did not come here for troll comments from people with a doctor's "the pain is all in your head" mentality.

I also think it's interesting that you are having this problem after adding a new hard drive. Something is amiss here. Did you recover from a backup? Install fresh? You may need to do some basic housekeeping with Onyx. It may even just be something with your ISP. One thing I'm certain of... it is far from clear that Apple is at fault here.

The rest of my system is working just fine. Since installing my new hard drive I have downloaded a few other things, and ONLY apple gives me a problem. No, due to the fact that professionals have written articles stating that others are having this problem, and people have inquired about it on this very site (and have posted about this on other mac forums), it only fits that there are issues with apple's download program that is not effecting everyone the same... just like it works with computers, fyi.

I love Mac, but there is no benefit in trying to cover over their program flaw. It doesn't help me and people like me who can't download their software, and it doesn't benefit them if people only pander to them instead of telling them they need to fix their program.

I just went to the Apple Store and downloaded something, just to see what would happen. The download went very smoothly, and very fast too. The issue is specifically with downloading Maverics, and it does not effect all users. But calling the minority who experience the issue(s) idiots, or telling them it's on their end, accomplishes nothing (but give me a reason to shake my head at trolls).

But still, thank you MacInWin for trying to help. I appreciate it. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
"No one else"...

I'm sorry but I have to stop you right there! As I have already stated, when I researched my particular problem, I ran across a few articles specifically laying out the very issues I'm experiencing. These articles are from professionals who are hearing a lot of these issues from a lot of people, and know a little more beyond the scope of this little micro universe of MacForums (bless your little hearts :) ). In fact I just did a search and found an article right on THIS site from someone having download issues with Mavericks. So please don't attempt to make me look childish and undereducated like I didn't do a fair amount of research before posting this here. For that matter, I posted in the event that someone smarter than myself in these things might give me a pointer, or tell me what others with the same problem did to resolve it. I did not come here for troll comments from people with a doctor's "the pain is all in your head" mentality.

I said no one else "here". That may have been overly broad, but I'm not aware of any regulars who have had this problem. Regardless, the fact that the overwhelming majority of people are having absolutely no problem downloading Mavericks from Apple suggests this is not a problem with Apple. Seriously now, do you really think Mavericks could have become adopted as widely as it has been if the opposite was true? It could easily be your ISP, or some "pipe" in between Apple and your ISP that Apple has no control over. Heck, it might even be a bug or faulty setting in your model modem or router related to the TCP/UDP ports used by the App Store. Don't know, but not going to troubleshoot it if you are more than content to take the easy way out and just blame Apple. I'm just setting the record straight that you are in fact just taking the easy way out here (EDIT: as well adding as a word of caution about installing a beta version, IF that's what it was).

I am also WELL AWARE of how the file sharing community works. 'Nuff said.

EDIT: And just who called you an idiot? I most certainly didn't. I also hope you aren't seriously implying I'm a troll either. Not with my record here, even if I can get a little... "testy" at times. LOL!

M

MacInWin

I would be more concerned about getting a torrent download for my OS because of the potential for malware being included in the install and starting out with my machine compromised. I think you would be far better off to resolve the download issue and get the authentic version from a trusted source. Your previous experience with Apple (not Mac) the fixed your machine out of warranty because you were persistent. This time, the software is free, they provide 90 days of tech support for that same free price and you can get a tech to assist you with the download also free. So why not take advantage of that offer and get them to help with your download? As for the current version of Mavericks, it's 10.9, that's it. And there isn't a .dmg for it, it's an application that builds the .dmg. So whoever uploaded the torrent has already made modifications to it just in the creation of the .dmg.

I think you are on a high risk path.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Mavericks is available freely from Apple through the Mac App Store. That is the only copy you should get and put faith in. While the torrents are just distributing a piece of software that is free, no guarantees that you are downloading or using the latest and not somehow malware-infested version..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.