Text box linking on latest version of Pages

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac 2.7G i5 + iPad2 +iPhone 6s+MacBookPro 15in 2017
Management has now bought herself an iMac and is trying to produce a small newsletter for her club and cannot find how to link text boxes in order to overflow text article from one page to another. Have searched web but cannot find how to do it. On a previous version I had on my iMac I had little blue arrows on the text boxes but can't find them on the latest version.....help is needed to restore household harmony!!

M

MacInWin

What software is management using? I think that's sorta important so we can help restore domestic harmony.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
She's using the latest Pages 5 (free with new iMac and Mavericks) . She had seen the text box linking on my earlier version and was well pi**ed off when it wasn't on the new version and as hers is a brand new iMac it doesn't have the earlier version on it to revert to.

M

MacInWin

Well, if it was there in the older Pages, just use that. When the new Pages installed, it should have created a folder in Applications called iWork '09 and in there should be Pages 4.3. Apple recreated Pages from the ground up for Mavericks and realized that they would not have some features in it that people used, so they preserved 4.x for users this way.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
She's using the latest Pages 5 (free with new iMac and Mavericks) . She had seen the text box linking on my earlier version and was well pi**ed off when it wasn't on the new version and as hers is a brand new iMac it doesn't have the earlier version on it to revert to.

Apple has completely re-worked Pages almost to the point where it's a brand new app. Unless she has access to the older version, the text box flow is gone; that and scripting among other things. Whether Apple restores some of those options in future updates to Pages 5 remains to be seen.

M

MacInWin

If the older version isn't on HER iMac, but it is on yours, you could, I suppose, in an emergency, if you had to, and only in the interest of domestic tranquility, perhaps, maybe, allow her to use yours to create the document?

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for that 'chscag', we'll just have to hope Apple restore it.

'Jake', SOME things are sacred!!.....she'll just have to find a way around it!

Reaction score
Here is to hoping...

Well, I too hope that Apple will bring this needed function back soon, as it helps to ensure continuity in previous document... which I will now have to transfer to MS Word :Grimmace:

Reaction score
Management has now bought herself an iMac and is trying to produce a small newsletter for her club and cannot find how to link text boxes in order to overflow text article from one page to another. Have searched web but cannot find how to do it. On a previous version I had on my iMac I had little blue arrows on the text boxes but can't find them on the latest version.....help is needed to restore household harmony!!

Textbox linking has been removed from Pages 5 along with over 100 other features.

Best is to simply use Pages '09.

You should really go to Apple's Pages for Mac forum where this has all been covered a thousand times in the last 13 months. You won't find too many who can give you full support here.

Don't hold out hope on getting most of the features back soon. Progress has been exceptionally slow so far.

Reaction score
Thanks

Textbox linking has been removed from Pages 5 along with over 100 other features.

Best is to simply use Pages '09.

You should really go to Apple's Pages for Mac forum where this has all been covered a thousand times in the last 13 months. You won't find too many who can give you full support here.

Don't hold out hope on getting most of the features back soon. Progress has been exceptionally slow so far.

Thanks for the advice, I don't know why I didn't think of that myself. ;D

M

MacInWin

My experience at that Apple forum is that there is very little real support provided. Yes, there are occasionally answers given that work, but most of the time I've been there for an answer all I find are other users with the same problem. I've gotten many more answers here, and have seen others get answers here, than ever happened at the Apple forums.

M

MacInWin

One thing that nobody has suggested: Can you copy your Pages.app from your machine to hers? Put it in the Applications folder, but in a subfolder so that when/if the current Pages is updated the older version won't be overwritten. Can't guarantee it will work, but that's how Apple did it when they offered the upgrade.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.