ipod went dead

Reaction score
I have a 1st gen ipod nano. it just went dead today. how do i know if it's the battery or something else? How long do the batteries usually last and how much is it to replace? is it cheaper to just buy a used later gen on ebay?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can take a look on ifixit to find out how difficult it is to change the battery in a first generation Nano. The later model Nanos (5th and 6th generation) are very difficult to change out a battery.

To answer your first question, the battery is suspect since your Nano is an older model and likely been charged and recharged many times. Check the ifixit procedure to change the battery yourself before deciding to buy a new one. Of course it could also be something other than the battery.

iFixit: The free repair manual

OP
U
Reaction score
My questions are:

1. How do I know if the battery's dead or if there's another problem?
2. Why does the apple store say they have to replace the part and/or they'll just replace the whole thing? Why can't they just put in a new battery?
3. How much does a battery cost?
4. Is it worth trying to figure out how to change the battery on my old 1st gen nano or just buy a newer one on ebay for less than $100?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
My questions are:

1. How do I know if the battery's dead or if there's another problem?
2. Why does the apple store say they have to replace the part and/or they'll just replace the whole thing? Why can't they just put in a new battery?
3. How much does a battery cost?
4. Is it worth trying to figure out how to change the battery on my old 1st gen nano or just buy a newer one on ebay for less than $100?

Just curious after a few days, did you follow the link given in the other post? If not you can look at the battery replacement guide HERE for your device - the procedure is rated as 'moderately difficult' - look at the images and decide if you want to do it yourself? Otherwise you'll have to follow Apple's advice - the problem may not be the battery and they would have to take your Nano apart and do the appropriate diagnostics.

More importantly, how much music is on the device and do you have it backed up? Dave :)

OP
U
Reaction score
Of course I have all my music backed up because it's always in itunes first. How could one not?

How and where can I get the battery and how much? I suppose I have nothing to lose taking the ipod apart, but if a battery's more expensive than a more recent model of the nano on ebay, why bother, right?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your best bet is to go to the site I linked above and look up your iPod. They have instructions for changing out the battery. The battery for your iPod can be purchased at Batteries +, Radio Shack, or just about anywhere they sell specialized batteries.

Again: iFixit: The free repair manual

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Of course I have all my music backed up because it's always in itunes first. How could one not?

How and where can I get the battery and how much? I suppose I have nothing to lose taking the ipod apart, but if a battery's more expensive than a more recent model of the nano on ebay, why bother, right?

As to your first statement above, 'How could one not?' - you would be surprised - most of the music I have on my iPod Touch (2G) is from my own CDs or DLs from Amazon and other sites - virtually nothing from iTunes, so relying on iTunes to have my music is not a choice (unless I subscribed to iTunes Match) - thus, I have multiple redundant backups of this music on various devices. BUT - glad that your music is elsewhere since your iPod Nano might have a HD problem?

As to battery replacement, please follow the multiple links already provided - do you want to try this yourself - the battery is likely cheap (check HERE) - you can google this yourself and/or check locally at Radio Shack or other electronic stores. Dave :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.