Issue with imail and multiple email address

Reaction score
I have multiple gmail accounts seat up in my iMail, 3 to be exact. My problem is, recently sometimes when I send an email from one account, when someone replies I will get the reply on my other gmail account. WTH!
Not sure if its an imail or gmail issue because even on my phone it comes to the other gmail address, and always the same 2 email accounts.
If i sent an email from email address ME1 when someone replies, it will come to email address ME3. I know when I send the email I have ME1 chosen in the from option in imail. Is it something in my mail preferences? I didn't knowingly change anything.
What is going on?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
OK.

Which device are you using and what version of iOS. By 'iMail' I'm guessing you mean the built in Mail client..... or do you mean you have downloaded an app called 'iMail'?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
First off - are you sure they are hitting the "Reply" button and not creating a new email or hitting the "Forward" button and typing in your name which would call up whatever email address they have for you in their contacts list regardless of the email you used to send it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
OK. So it's on your Mac not on an iPhone or iPad.

Bobtomay raises a valid point, but assuming they are just replying..... When you compose a new mail and have multiple accounts configured you'll see a drop-down list next to the 'From:' label. Here you can specify which account you send from.

If you go to Preferences - Compose you can change what address is in here by default. The specific options depend on the version of OSX you have but you'll get the idea once you get in there

OP
L
Reaction score
Yes, I'm sure. And it only happens when I'm on the mac, if i create an email from @me1 on my iPhone and send it to @me2, then hit reply from my iPhone it comes back to @me1. If I send to the exact address from the mac, it comes back to @me3.

OP
L
Reaction score
Plow, I made sure that I have the correct account selected. I my new mail window there is a drop down to choose which account u want to send from.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Plow, I made sure that I have the correct account selected. I my new mail window there is a drop down to choose which account u want to send from.

OK, does that match the sent from address in the mail in sent items?

OP
L
Reaction score
Just checked, yes, if i go to sent and look, all the sent from address are correct they just get sent back to a different one, so weird!

OP
L
Reaction score
if i go to mail preferences and look in accounts, could it have something to do with incoming or out going servers or some there?>

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you are sending a mail out with 'address1' and it's coming back to a different address it's a recipient issue at their end.

If your outgoing mail had the wrong address on it would be an issue on your mail client.

I suspect what you're getting back is the primary address the recipient has for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
if i go to mail preferences and look in accounts, could it have something to do with incoming or out going servers or some there?>

no, not if the sent item has the correct address on it.

OP
L
Reaction score
If you are sending a mail out with 'address1' and it's coming back to a different address it's a recipient issue at their end.

If your outgoing mail had the wrong address on it would be an issue on your mail client.

I suspect what you're getting back is the primary address the recipient has for you.

I wonder if your right, I will contact the person and see if they have the primary address setup for me. but weird, it happens if i sent to and myself from my different accounts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
From the information you've provided the issue is at the recipient end.

You can test it thus:
1. create a brand new email account (say a yahoo or hotmail account). Just do it on the web. No imported contacts, no link to any account you already have.
2. Send an email to this new account from your Mac from an account of your choosing)
3. on the new account (still just in the web browser) have a look at who it came from and the reply.
4. The new web based account has no view/knowledge of your other addresses and therefore can only use the address it was sent from to reply back to

OP
L
Reaction score
Ok, just noticed this……(just so its out there all these accounts are gmail accounts) I sent an email from @me1 to a yahoo account that is not setup to my mac mail. when i received the email at my yahoo account it says the sender is @me3 not the @me1 i sent it from! but if i go back to my mack mail and go to my sent folder, it says sent from @me1.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you repeat the exercise but send from the gmail web interface to yahoo what happens?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have you changed the preferences default account setting? in Mail?

There should be 3 of more options. Do they all result in the same issue?

OP
L
Reaction score
U mean in the compose tab? yes i have same problem each time
For some reason i want to say it has something to do with the outgoing mail server in the accounts tab. The account @me3 which is the one that seems to have taken over, in the out going server it says smtp.gmail.com…then the email address. in the other 2 accounts @me1 and @me2 they just say gmail off line. could that be the issue?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, in the Mail Preferences panel, as per my earlier post.

Every single gmail account uses the same outgoing mail server, it's not unique to each account

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.