Recharging Macbook on the plane

Reaction score
Dear all,

I found out that my plane (Emirates) has a USB port. Is it possible to recharge a Macbook Air using a cable that attaches to a USB port? I searched the Apple website but fail to see any accessories that re-charges a Macbook via USB port.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
No... it is not possible to charge any computer battery that I've ever seen via a USB port.

OP
S
Reaction score
I'm from Australia and travelling to the United States in a week time. What do I need to recharge my Macbook? Plug adapter? I'm not sure if this will cause harm to the Macbook since Australian voltage is 240 v compared to USA 120 v.

Screen Shot 2013-12-11 at 8.54.14 pm.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I'm from Australia and travelling to the United States in a week time. What do I need to recharge my Macbook? Plug adapter? I'm not sure if this will cause harm to the Macbook since Australian voltage is 240 v compared to USA 120 v.

Below are the adapter specs (from Apple Support) for my early 2013 MBPro, so there is a wide range of 'line voltage' that the laptop's charger can handle (whether in the USA or in a country w/ 240v - lot easier that in the old days when I went to Europe more often!).

So, the receptacle adapter shown should be fine; another option would be to buy a 120 v. plug that will attach to the removal portion of the charger. Good luck - Dave :)

Screen Shot 2013-12-11 at 11.09.03 AM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dear all,

I found out that my plane (Emirates) has a USB port. Is it possible to recharge a Macbook Air using a cable that attaches to a USB port? I searched the Apple website but fail to see any accessories that re-charges a Macbook via USB port.

Yep - the plane would need a standard electrical receptacle to charge your computer; the charger for my MBPro has an output of 16.5 v x 3.65 amps maximum - a fall cry from the 10 watts (5 v x 2 amps) needed by my iPad - now I do have a portable battery charger for the latter. I guess if the battery on your laptop is removable you could carry along a second one, possibly of larger capacity? Good luck - Dave :)

OP
S
Reaction score
Below are the adapter specs (from Apple Support) for my early 2013 MBPro, so there is a wide range of 'line voltage' that the laptop's charger can handle (whether in the USA or in a country w/ 240v - lot easier that in the old days when I went to Europe more often!).

So, the receptacle adapter shown should be fine; another option would be to buy a 120 v. plug that will attach to the removal portion of the charger. Good luck - Dave :)

Thanks.
Ps. I still got the 1 year warranty though, I just bought the Air last Tuesday

OP
S
Reaction score
Yep - the plane would need a standard electrical receptacle to charge your computer; the charger for my MBPro has an output of 16.5 v x 3.65 amps maximum - a fall cry from the 10 watts (5 v x 2 amps) needed by my iPad - now I do have a portable battery charger for the latter. I guess if the battery on your laptop is removable you could carry along a second one, possibly of larger capacity? Good luck - Dave :)

Removable battery? I'm not sure about the MB Pro but the Air surely doesnt have a removable battery.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Removable battery? I'm not sure about the MB Pro but the Air surely doesnt have a removable battery.

Not sure what model/year you were talking about - my MBPro does not have a removable battery so would not be an option for me either. If only I could take my Xantex power unit on a plane - has enough battery power to run a 120 v. plug-in for a while but weighs a ton! :Cool:

Dave

xantrex-powerpack-300_69.jpg

OP
S
Reaction score
Not sure what model/year you were talking about - my MBPro does not have a removable battery so would not be an option for me either. If only I could take my Xantex power unit on a plane - has enough battery power to run a 120 v. plug-in for a while but weighs a ton! :Cool:

Dave

xantrex-powerpack-300_69.jpg

LoL. You'll be better off buying the external Macbook battery (forgot what is is called). But that's probably going to last you 4 hours max. It's a pity only some planes have power sockets.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.